917 Chassis and Engine for sale

Didn't post for a loooong time, but i was researching the web for a replica 917, Turns out there is a chassis and engine for sale in Germany. The say on the website that the frame is 30 years old. So this could be an original, but no chassis number provided (it probably doesn't have one). However an original old engine and chassis could be enough to get it on paper as an original (for Example in the Netherlands). I dare to say this because potential buyers of original old 917's should be aware that it's possible someone pulls this off as an original. (maybe someone knows the story with the Sbarro GT40).
And maybe this chassis is for someone to make an expensive but proper 917 replica.

Raceline Feustel GmbH - THE BEST FOR OUR FRIENDS - 911 for sale - porsche for sale - 904 911 914 917 kmw
look under: cars for sale

Greetings Dennis,

btw i have nothing to do with this business

Keith

Wow! Great find. The motor is definitely an original and the chassis certainly looks (to my untrained eye) to be an original type if not an original.

This would be a great acquisition for anyone keen on the 917.

Could it be a Salzburg car?

Good luck if you go down that road. Will take a huge amount of money and for its originality? I hope Raceline tells you the truth.

They serviced a 911RS that now belongs to a friend here in the UK when the car was owned in the 1980s by one of their well known Porsche customers just east of Koeln. I spoke to them, and they struck me as very strict Germans and looking after their own interests.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
A couple of years back now:

<CENTER><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#111111 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">
<CENTER><TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=top width=198>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=4 width=200><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
squarebullet.gif
</TD><TD>Auction Home</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
squarebullet.gif
</TD><TD>Open House
March 25th
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
squarebullet.gif
</TD><TD>Press Release</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
squarebullet.gif
</TD><TD>Engine Info & Photos</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
squarebullet.gif
</TD><TD>Cast of Characters</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
squarebullet.gif
</TD><TD>Auction Info</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
squarebullet.gif
</TD><TD>Polak Charitable Foundation</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top> </TD><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD bgColor=#ff0000 vAlign=top width=1 align=middle><!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --> <!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan --> </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=top width="550%" align=middle><TABLE border=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
Vasek Polak Historic Porsche Racing Engine Auction
Engine Auction Information & Photos
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>The engines offered up for auction here were recently inspected by Alwin Springer, former head of Porsche Motorsports North America, and also a former Vasek mechanic. All engines were available for inspection in Los Angeles, and are sold as-is with no warranty or guarantee of their condition. All engines were provided with legal documentation assuring the buyer that the foundation is the legal, rightful owner of these engines.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Porsche 917 5.0L Normally Aspirated Engine (No Serial). This particular engine has been recently overhauled, and has not been run since. There are certain parts missing, but overall the engine should be in running conditions, after the parts are replaced and/or repaired and a “tune-up” has been performed. LOT# 917-002 [Engine Inspection Report] [Photos]
(larger photos available by request)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Porsche 908 3.0L Normally Aspirated Engine. This pristine Porsche 908 racing motor is brand new, and appears have been manufactured out of brand new parts with no run time on them, according to the findings with the bore scope. LOT# 908-001 [Engine Inspection Report] [Small Photos]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center>
Porsche 917 5.4L Normally Aspirated Engine (#39). This particular engine has been recently overhauled, and then ran afterwards for a short period of time. The engine has some “Racing History” and was recently overhauled. There are certain parts missing, but overall the engine should be in running condition, after the parts are replaced and/or repaired and a “tune-up” has been performed. LOT# 917-001
[Engine Inspection Report] [Photos]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Porsche 771 2.2L Hillclimb Engine. This 8-cylinder engine was used in many of Porsche's early race cars, including the 907, the 910, and the 904. Similar in design to the 4-cam motor used in the 550 spyders, the engine typically output around 210 HP, depending upon the configuration. This particular engine is used, but complete minus the alternator. The injection nozzle location indicates that this particular motor was setup for the hillclimb configuration. LOT# 771-001 [Photos]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center>
Porsche 917 4.9L Normally Aspirated Engine (No Serial). This pristine 917 engine appears to have been assembled from brand new parts and has not been run, according to the findings with the bore scope. LOT# 917-003
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Porsche 917 5.0L Normally Aspirated Engine (#41). The engine has some “Racing History” and was recently overhauled. This is the most complete engine and should run, after the slides are freed up and a “tune-up” has been performed. LOT# 917-004 [Engine Inspection Report] [Photos]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><DL><TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="33%"> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
<TABLE border=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
Vasek Polak Historic Porsche Racing Engine Auction
Auction and Bidding Information
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
All six engines were sold at the Pelican Parts Open House on March 25th. The winning bid was greater than $1 million. The winner of the auction was Dale Miller from Miller Historic Motorcars. For details, contact Dale Miller at: Miller Historic Motorcars
259 Midland Drive
Asheville, NC 28804
Phone: 828-350-3600
Email: [email protected]

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Keith

They got all those motors for around $1mil?

That seems awfully cheap!

Whaat? $160,000 each for the 917 engines? Cheap you say Jim?

Send me a 'C' note immediately... :thumbsup:

PS $1 million was a Conservative estimate..... :) Sorry Jim, couldn't resist...:laugh:

As I recall, these were the old porsche racing engines that had been sitting on the shelf and in the rafters at vasek pollak after the old man died. Conseqently, while they may have looked fine when looking down a spark plug hole with the bore scope, 20 years sitting on the shelf can be hard on an engine. Would be interesting to know how these engines turned out after Miller got them back to his shop.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Cliff,
Anything but old. I went to Vasek's a few times on behalf of Kerry Adams collecting spares. I saw them as Kerry told me to have a look while I was there. I think it was either in the Manhattan Beach or Redondo Beach or even Hermosa beach area - I never really paid much attention as I just gave the cab an address to take me to and then fell asleep until we got there. The engines were shrink wrapped and some were actually NOS. They were not assembled from bits afterwards so provenance was there. Apparently they were promised to the storeman as his pension but seemingly he didn't go the right way to consolidate it. This was one of many 'stories'. There was a fantastic amount of 917 spares in VP's stores.
Some say the engines were stolen by some very well informed robbers.
One report said in 2000, a team of crack thieves absconded with a stock of NOS and rebuilt Porsche racing motors: four naturally-aspirated Porsche 917K race engines, a NOS 3.0L Porsche 908 mill, one 2.2L Porsche 907 Hillclimb engine, and one 3.4L Porsche 911 race engine. Not that 'crack' really as they didn't work out what they were going to do with them. The NOS engines could be up to $250,000 or more each.
If I had that sort of dosh, I'd buy them all.
I have three daughters instead.
Dave

Back