930 transaxle, conversion to hyraulic slave?

Hi All,

running an inverted 930 transaxle and planning the conversion to hydraulic slave using Wilwood 260-1333 (Wilwood Engineering - Slave Cylinder - Self Bleed Lines).

I assume I simply use the 3 core porsche components - fork, splined shaft that connects fork to outside lever, and the outside lever. And then adapt the lever so it can connect to the pull-type slave.

The porsche lever is only about 70mm long from shaft centre to tip, and tapers quite narrow at the end. How do I modify it to accept the rod-end on the end of the wilwood slave? - do I simply weld some bulk into the lever keeping it at it's current length but wide enough at the tip to take a hole for the slave rod-end attachment, or is it more desirable to increase it's length at the same time to increase travel but reduce load on the slave.

Wilwood list the slave as having a max stroke of 35mm - any ideas on what this implies for lever length, and what size master cylinder in a wilwood pedal box would fully stroke the wilwood slave for a full pedal stroke? (I have a KEP HD single plate clutch).

Pictures and experience from anyone who's been down this track would be most appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Andrew Robertson, New Zealand

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Hi Andrew ---heres my take in this department :- But, before you go too far, check Russ Nobles set up --I think it is a better way to go

Attachments

• 930 hyd. clutch 003 (Small).jpg
    930 hyd. clutch 003 (Small).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 453
  • 930 hyd. clutch 004 (Small).jpg
    930 hyd. clutch 004 (Small).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 499
  • rcr lola trans 012 (2) (Small).jpg
    rcr lola trans 012 (2) (Small).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 414

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Yes the hydraulic TOB is the way to go. Probably involves a bit more engineering than having the external slave.

Building these one off things would be a killer if you don't have the gear to do it yourself, or have mates in the right places to do it for you.

Anyway welcome to the forum Andrew my clutch release setup is detailed in my build log http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/16138-kiwi-scratchbuilt.html around posts 140 and 267

Andrew,
A lot will depend on how your car is setup(brand). The cross frame mount will dictate how you arrange the action of the slave. You first have to figure that out as some arrangements will leave only room for a pusher, others a puller. I don't know if you are a scratch builder like Russ or not. I have posted several arrangements for you to observe. The last is my 996 setup that I had the Porsche shop foreman to rig up for my DRB.

930Hydraulicclutch.jpg

Clutchslavecyl.jpg

P1010062.jpg

P1010061.jpg

As you can see in my pics, the first setup would never work with my car. A mtg. for the slave had to be welded in place to get the proper angle and push.

Bill

I fabbed up a bracket to bolt to the bell housing bolts and mounted a small Willwood pusher to a modified 915 release arm. I just welded some 3/16 plate to it to form up a double sheer mount for a 3/8 heim on a threaded release rod.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 503
Back