A Loooong trip in RF40 .

I have just returned from a six thousand mile round trip in the RF40. Bernie Knight who is a good friend from Australia flew over here to travel with me in the GT all the way to London, Ohio. We left early on June 20th with two small bags stuffed to the max with all our clothes.
I even installed two cup holders temporaraly for this trip. They worked so well I may affix them permenantly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Bernie has posted his story onto the Cobra forum. Here is the link.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65854

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 60591-CupHolder1.jpg
    60591-CupHolder1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 296
Here is another photo of the cup holder

Attachments

• 60592-cupholder3.jpg
    60592-cupholder3.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 333
I know some of you are wondering where the luggage was put so here is a few photos of the luggage then another in the GT.

Attachments

• 60593-luggage.jpg
    60593-luggage.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 331
There is one other little package that came in real handy.
We encountered a flat by runnung over some semi retreads that was all over the road. We squirted this slime stuff into the tire and it worked! The tire is still up and has lost no pressure. So from now on this little package stays in the GT.

Attachments

• 60595-SlimeFlatfixer.jpg
    60595-SlimeFlatfixer.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 288
I also carry a small tool box. It sits just behind the the bulkhead on the right side. I put foam strips under it so that it wouldn't rub the metal. Believe it or not this little box has a set of jumper cables, two quarts of oil, hammer and a full socket set.

Attachments

• 60596-ToolBox2.jpg
    60596-ToolBox2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 282
Hershal
Are there any issues with using the slime in high performance tires. Sound like a good solution to a car that can't carry a spare. I've heard of problems with some of the flat fix cans and z rated tires,

LLoyd.

EXCELLENT!! Great to see that the RF is so useable Hersh. It's a credit to you and your car to do so many miles and get so much enjoyment out of it. Do you have a cruise control system fitted?

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Way to go Hershal! Now I can add "long distance touring car" to my list of reasons why I need a GT40 in the garage.

LLoyd, my RX8 came without a spare from the factory, and has a can of tire goo in it's place. I wouldn't recommend it as a long-term repair, but it sure takes up a lot less space!

LLoyd,
The stuff works great so far and I even exceeded the speed limit a few times on the long Texas straights of enter-state highway. I wouldn't recomend going for long with it in there as the heat eventually breaks the slime up and it will leak again. It is truly just to get you whrer a repair or replacement can be done.. That little package with the slime and the compressor is very small. It's about 10"x6"x3".
Mark, I'm sure that there are other owners who have driven their GT on long trips. I'm sure they will concure that the GT is indeed a comfortable car to drive. I honestly have no issues with the seating or the visability. In fact I see all I need to see while driving on the highway. My wife generally reads a book as we travel to car shows or events and she says it's really quite comfortable. The only real complaint she has is the drone of the pipes after a few hours. I have to agree that if you travel long distances then change out the rear stinger pipes for a decent muffler. The RF now come with stainless pipes and they have really nice mufflers that have a very nice sound that is more pleasing than what I have on my car.

Tim, I have the cruise in but it is not connected. The eight barrel throttle linkage is too strong for the cruise servo and it kicks of shortly after setting. I have tried every trick I can think of to get it to work but no luck. If you know something that might help please let me know.

Attachments

• 60601-Overthestacksthruthebackscreen.jpg
    60601-Overthestacksthruthebackscreen.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 294
Hersh,
I came up with a very simliar solution to the carry space problem. My bag was a weatherproof (tested in light rain only) soft bag that sat across the entire length of the section under the nostils. I considered placing a small bag behind the radiator as you have, but was worried it might impead the air flow too much. Can I assume that six thousand miles confirms that it doesn't? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hersh
I also carry something similar for the those tire emergencies...a small plug kit. I think I paid $10.00 for it. It has those fibrous gooey plugs, a reamer and the hook to install them, has saved my butt many a times. Just my 2 cents worh. BTW that looks like a nice trip you had.
Phil

Chris,
The single flat type sacheal works best as you describe but Bernie had his and I had mine. I did have it in front of the fans and it did not effect the temp at all. I carried my infered temp gun and checked it when stopped for fuel. There was no difference in the temps. Also the photo is not a good one as it does not show that I only blocked about one third of one fan. The other fan was only blocked about 25%. The best thing was those cheapo cup holders as they were so handy. It was so nice to be able to put a hot cup of coffee or a bottle of water there and not have it spill.
Phil, I like the slime because it will plug a hole up to a 1/4" in size. anything bigger and I call a tow truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My tool box does contain those plugs and the tool but the glue has hardened over time due to the extreme heat here in Sunny Arizona. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave,
Accually MikieC got them for me at West Marine in Glendale, He doesn't live that far from their store and I was headed up there for the weekly show at the Safeway.

thanks Hersh and TimB There is a West Marine near us in Tempe not that far from Gordon's. I will have to check it out.

Hersh,

My goal is to start at Seaside, Oregon, go to New York to see the Statue of Liberty, and then back to Seaside, Oregon in my GT40. Mine is currently up in Vancouver, B.C. getting some molds made off of it. Thanks so much for your encouraging trip!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Have fun!

John

Hersh,
Neat pics. I'm still fighting with the Ohio BMV. I received the light covers today. Thanks.

Rolf

Back