Adhesive

Can someone please give me some recommendations for a bonding adhesive to put between the chassis and sheet metal before I add the rivets?

I’m thinking about black 3M 5200.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

Supporter
Steve;

3M 2216 A/B is an excellent all-around epoxy adhesive. It has high strength, good peel resistance and a little flexibility. Of course you don't want to use an adhesive on a painted chassis. In that case you will have only the strength of the bond between the steel tube and the paint/primer/powder coating-- poor. Prepare the bonded surfaces properly for good adhesion.

If the adhesive is simply to keep water from getting trapped between faying (overlapping) surfaces , you might as well use RTV.

Chuck

Supporter
Methacrylate. Sold under different labels, including Plexus. Two part, typically requires special mixing gun.

I used it extensively when building the Carbon Cub airplane. Bonds aluminum to steel, fiberglass, etc.

Pricey stuff.

Variations are available at some auto suppliers, like NAPA

If you are riveting, this may be over kill.

Chuck

The 3M 5200 is an excellent adhesive, particularly where there may be exposure to moisture over time. It forms an extremely strong bond that will both flex a little, and not let go. Be aware, once you bond it with 5200 it will be a permanent bond.

Have used 5200 in a variety of environments and for my money it is the best adhesive out there.

Thanks for the responses. I thought that there may be a standard that I’m not familiar with that most builders use. I’m thinking that this will be less for bonding and more as a barrier to reduce noise and moisture.

I’ve used 5200 extensively with my boats over the years so I am very familiar with its properties and the fact that it gets everywhere no matter how careful you try to be.

I think I’ll go that route.

Thanks again!

Steve

Back