Advice needed for GTD rear hubs

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi All,

I wish to convert my GTD metric rear hubs to standard Ford 4.5" x 5.

Is this even possible, or am I looking at major work here?

What is the most cost-effective way of achieving this? My goal is to enable the use of pin-drive wheels (which I have) and adapters that are 4.5" x 5, not metric.

All help appreciated!

Mark

Attachments

• Rear hubs.jpg
    Rear hubs.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 249
Mark:
I regularly re-drill hubs at different bolt centers. I can't see your hub behind the rotor but you should have space between the existing holes for another set, and it will not compromise hub integrity. I believe the original hubs were from a Merkur Scorpio if memory seves me, and if yours have multiple bolt centers already you may be able to source a new hub.
If you are using press-in studs be mindful of the hole size as the splined studs need to cut into the hub at installation and will spin in the hole if not tight enough.
Hope some of this helps
Cheers
Phil

Mark, make your own one piece shafts with new bearing carriers ( bigger bearings wider spaced for more rigidity ) The bearing carriers bolt right on to the GTD upright. I can let you have drawings FOC if for your personal use. Frank

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 223

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Frank & Phil,

I appreciate the advice (and generous offer Frank). I guess I should pull them apart and have a look. If they can be re-drilled, I might go that route for ease, unless the bearings look weak, in which case I will send you an e-mail directly Frank.

Thanks again!
Mark

Back