Advice wanted

It is very likely that I will be moving to England or nearby within the next couple of years. This is a complicated process. Checking out schools etc has been my first priority but I am now trying to get my head around how I will best be able to pursue my car hobby. I am thinking of bringing four of my cars, one of which is the GT40.
Any car clubs in particular that I should look at?
I am most interested in grass roots motorsports - hillclimbs, supersprints, VMax etc.
I have no idea what I'll be getting into over there so any comments welcome.

Edit: Title was supposed to say UK advice wanted...

Tim.

Mike Pass

Supporter
GT40 Enthusiasts Club (GT40 Enthusiasts Club - Front Page) for the GT40 aspect.

There are loads of events and shows to go to and get info.There will be clubs for your other cars also which you can find and join easily. The NEC Classic Car show covers everything classic. A visit to the NEC Autosport Show will sort out everything else related to motorsport. Both really big shows that take all day to get round.

Contact the RAC MSA (http://www.msauk.org/custom/asp/home/default.asp) and they will give you chapter and verse on any motorsport activities you might fancy. There are different levels of competition licence and there are requirements for helmets and race suits etc which vary with the type of competition you want to do. Hillclimbs and sprints are less strict than circuit racing.

Cheers
Mike

I'm sure you have good reasons for moving, Tim, but I'm sad to see you leave Australia. There are probably more car enthusiasts, interesting cars, and all sorts of car groups and activities compared to Australia, if you can survive the weather.

Thanks Mike,

It seems a shame not to take advantage of the UK's motorsports facilities and it's close proximity to places in Europe that beckon eg: Nurburgring, LeMans etc. :)

Aw shucks, Dalton, I'll miss you too mate. :)

Tim.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Tim

When you arrive your may need to get some / all your cars through the IVA system.

For example the GT40 will need to go through IVA
If you bring a Mini Cooper across more than 30 years old should be no problem especially is it was assembled in the UK
If you bring a Toyota Truck and they have Type Approval over here then is is a smaller inspection

Just so you are aware and not shocked by the "Pommie" government involvement in everything

Tracks - lots of them over here but all now governed by noise limits
Track days cost from about £130 to £350 depending on track, organisers etc

Fuel price will make your eyes water - currently about £1.33 per litre or £1.41 for Diesel. Bring across an LPG vehicle and be quids in at about £0.77 per litre - also save you on the Londion congestion zone charge as it is considered an "alternative" fuel worth £10 per day

Ian

If its grass root motorsports you want, you are coming to the right place. From Run what ya Brung days at Santa Pod to the Britcar 24 hours this place is brimming with the stuff. If its historic racing that floats your boat then the VSCC See Red meet or the Masters meets are the places to see some of the most iconic motor cars in history being driven flat out. And the Goodwood shows are a must for any petrol head. Nick Masons Ferrari 250 being driven flat out is a sight to behold.

If you fancy something a bit different then the 24 hours of Le Mans is a short drive away. Or how about the Monaco Classic or the LE Mans classic.

And track days at Silverstone, Spa (all the old circuit is still there), Nurburgring are a regular occurrence. Along with most other tracks in the UK, and we have a lot.

And if none of that raises your blood pressure then how about a Porsche 550 Spider through the Alps, Or the Italian Lakes in a Ferrari, or the old AVUS circuit in an Audi R8?

Its all a hell of a lot easier from the UK! Just don't mention the weather! And the cost of fuel is probably best left out of conversation as well.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
And then of course, there is the Beer! Not that Blonde fizzy Australian bilge water! ;)

Mark,You are kidding! Next you will be bragging about your cricket team.

Have a good time in the U.K. Tim, the weather is crap and the beer warm and flat, you drive two miles and they talk a different dialect, their idea of cooking is to cook everything so much that you have no idea what you are eating.
But apart from that they are pretty good blokes and the women are delightful.;)

Back