Aeroquip Socketless hose and fittings

Time for a little plumbing, anyone have experience with Aeroquip Socketless hose and fittings? They look to be just the ticket for a do it yourself guy, but my brain can't handle how they work and won't leak without a crimp.

Thanks

Brian

Ron McCall

Supporter
I have used them and they work GREAT! They have a series of "barbs" on the nipple that gets slid into the hose.(not an easy task.They are very tight!) They WILL NOT come apart once you put them together.You have to cut the hose off to remove the fitting.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Ditto all the other comments, and plus, they're good if you just want to use them as a measuring tool for a swaged hose. We all know how frustrating (and expensive) it is to have to get a swaged hose done 2-3 times, because you can't seem to get the length "just right".

So you make up the socketless hose to your satisfaction, make sure it fits and gets dressed into place just right, then you bring it to the Aeroquip dealer (or local Parker shop) and have them make the same thing with swaged ends. And if theirs doesn't work because it's longer or shorter than yours, they get to eat the mistake.

Yep - I've used it a couple of times too. Comes in black or blue over here and good for working pressures up to 400psi or vacuum from say a drysump system.

Another bonus is the fittings are easily re-used by carefully slicing the pipe with a sharp blade at the barb.

If you dip the hose end in boiling water for a minute or so, it will assemble much easier. I also use some white grease in the hose end, and on the barbed fitting. You have to be quick though, before the hose cools down.

I just used it this morning to install my heater connections from the front radiator hoses to the bulkhead to the heater core. Easy to use, looks great and works well. What more could you ask for!

I really don't see a need for the band clamps but I do use them. Most sanctioning bodies have an issue if you don't use band clamps.

I found this thread while searching for Aeroquip hose dealers.

I would hate to see one of yoru GT40s go up in flames.. Aeroquip warns to NEVER use clamps on Aeroquip Socketless hose because it damages the soft hose liner and can cause the hose to split. Build safe cars, guys!

Here's a quote from aeroquip's site:
aeroquip.com said:
Q: Should I use a clamp with the FBV (SOCKETLESSTM) hose and fittings?
A: No. In fact, the use of a clamp has been known to cause premature hose failure at the point of the fitting. This hose and fitting are designed and manufactured to work to the indicated specifications without a socket or clamp.
Eaton Aeroquip - Performance Products: Technical Information

Back