Air Deflector

I am waiting for my fan shroud to be completed and was wondering if a air deflector would help in deflecting the hot air away from the cockpit. I made a deflector out of a piece of scrap sheetmetal that the shroud is being made from. Since my battery is mounted in the front of the vehicle, the deflector would be mounted in front of it. I was thinking about covering the front of the shield with a piece of lavashield I used in the engine compartment.

Several cars have used those, and I think it's a great idea. I think the most recent picture of one I've seen was on Scott's car, that the original builder made.

I think sealing it to the sides probably might help as well.

On a slightly different topic, a gurney flap at the leading edge of the rad exit opening would create a pressure differential and tend to help extract air from that area. I have one on my Phase 2 list...

Cody DeHart

Supporter
Another thought is if you have the hydraulic lift system this might help with that as well...let me explain. Down in Texas were it is 100 F all the time I have been experiencing issues with my system getting heat soaked after running the car hard and then I am not lifting all the way or at all some times. It has to do with the viscosity of the power steering fluid dropping after getting hot. I need to put in a deflector, an additive to the power steering fluid, or a different fluid to prevent this. Any suggestions?

One idea I am also toying with ( I am the Scott that Will was referncing that has the deflector), was opening up the exit a bit also. You can cut that opening down like 18" if you wanted and add some fins to fill it back in. High pressure in front and if made big enough, massive low pressure at back with correctly angled fins.
I have also seen that turbulence piece Will was talking about used on many other cars and race cars too.

Another thought is if you have the hydraulic lift system this might help with that as well...let me explain. Down in Texas were it is 100 F all the time I have been experiencing issues with my system getting heat soaked after running the car hard and then I am not lifting all the way or at all some times. It has to do with the viscosity of the power steering fluid dropping after getting hot. I need to put in a deflector, an additive to the power steering fluid, or a different fluid to prevent this. Any suggestions?

Cody, I use a 10-40 CST Hydraulic Mineral Oil in my lift kit. such as Penrite LHM or a HSMO.

That's interesting- I have seen the same cold/hot thing in my car and don't have an explanation, or even a theory.

Why do you think the viscosity changes, and if it does, why would that make a difference? When compressing any hydraulic fluid, the viscosity really doesn't change its compressibility, just its willingness to flow, right?

I wonder if a more likely explanation is that the heat causes the fluid to boil, getting air in the fluid, and making it less able to open the rams. With air in the fluid, suddenly it is very compressible.

Cody DeHart

Supporter
I think the viscosity drop due is to the temperature rising and then the pump is not forcing the fluid like it should. I spoke with the guy at Ram lift and he said this could happen if the impeller and mating surface are worn. I opened mine up today and found shards of metal on the drain plug. So my pump needs to be re-worked; fortunately he is only 15 miles from me. But even with my pump being damaged it will still work when cold or just cruising around.

Back