aircraft identification light

Please pardon my obvious ignorance - would you please tell me what those lamps are used for on the GT40?

Cheers

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
If they are talking about the lights in pic 1 I attached, they are mounted on the rear and were used to identify the car from the pits at night.

I attached pics of my car (installed) and 1076 (close up).

Attachments

• DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0053.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 335
  • 489201.jpg
    489201.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 314
These lights have always confused me a little as I am unsure whether they were on both rear quarters of the cars, from period photos (the ones I have seen) it is quite hard to see this.

1968 - 1076 had Green
1968/69 - 1075 had Amber
1968 - 1074 had Blue

Cheers

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
These lights have always confused me a little as I am unsure whether they were on both rear quarters of the cars, from period photos (the ones I have seen) it is quite hard to see this.

1968 - 1076 had Green
1968/69 - 1075 had Amber
1968 - 1074 had Blue

Cheers

To the best of my understanding, they were only on one side, but the side changed based on the orientation of the track. For LeMans the light and the number roundel would have been on the right side of the car. For Daytona they would have been moved to the Left. For 1076, the roundels on the nose and doors was painted as they weren't moved. The one on the rear was a sticker and located as appropriate for the track.

In this image of 1076, you can see the repair mark where the light was moved from Daytona configuration to LeMans configuration as it is restored to today.

I put the roundel and id light on the drivers side in Daytona orientation, or you could think of it as the mirror image of LeMans since my car is LHD.

Best,

Ron

Attachments

• 1076-015.jpg
    1076-015.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
To the best of my understanding, they were only on one side, but the side changed based on the orientation of the track. For LeMans the light and the number roundel would have been on the right side of the car. For Daytona they would have been moved to the Left. For 1076, the roundels on the nose and doors was painted as they weren't moved. The one on the rear was a sticker and located as appropriate for the track.

In this image of 1076, you can see the repair mark where the light was moved from Daytona configuration to LeMans configuration as it is restored to today.

I put the roundel and id light on the drivers side in Daytona orientation, or you could think of it as the mirror image of LeMans since my car is LHD.

Best,

Ron

Sounds perfectly logical to me :)
Cheers

Just read this thread, and one quick question. Can someone confirm the colour of the ID light on 1075 for Lemans in 69? I was under the impression it was red.

Back