Aluminium GT40 "Turbo Swirl" Y-303 heads

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Aluminium GT40 \"Turbo Swirl\" Y-303 heads

I need a pair of these heads with the SVO stamp on the side.
Anybody know of a pair that can be shipped to Australia?

Am keen to purchase.

Bill.

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: Aluminium GT40 \"Turbo Swirl\" Y-303 heads

Bill, I used to have the Y castings on my Cougar. They were okay, but superceeded by other SVO heads and dang sure outclassed by AFR, TFS, etc. Any reason why you wish to have the Y castings?

Ron

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter

Ron
If I had my way, I'd go the AFR 185's, but to get the car across the DAMN emissions line, I have to get the engine in the "exact" configuration that the engineer (RF have directed me to him) wants. This means "Aluminium GT40 "Turbo Swirl" Y-303 heads".
The AFRs will simply not pass the emissions test here in Melbourne, or anywhere else in Australia - period.
Compared to AFRs in price, they aren't that much cheaper, 15-20% but are they 15-20% worse in output characteristics?

Ron Earp

Admin

Yes, they are. The intake and exhaust flow, especially at 0.400" and up, is more than 20% different if I recall correctly. The Ys are not cast any longer, as far as I know, they were a middle 90s casting from Ford. Shortly after the Ys came on the scene they were replaced with, I think as I'm going all off memory, the X castings which were quite a bit better and closer to what TFS, AFR, and others were offering.

The AFR Emission 185s won't pass? They have the air injection ports, if used, and pass smog tests all over America. I wonder what the spec levels are for what they are looking for in Australia? Europe emissions are actually easier to pass than the US emissions specs, despite Europeans all thinking the Americans are polluting bastards (we are, but our cars are cleaner actually).

Ron

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter

Thought you'd say that... . Thanks for the input Ron.
Unfortunately, here in OZ you could come up with a killer engine that is (for all intents and purposes) emission legal, however if the engineer hasn't seen that configuration before then you are screwed.
I don't know of anyone that got through emissions with the AFR’s because they were never sold here on a production vehicle.
For ICVs (Individually Constructed Vehicles) like my own, 302's can still be registered only if they appear to be identical to the engine spec available exactly 3 years prior to the date you are testing your car. For me that means December 02 configuration out of Ford Australia's then production cars. Because RF were still selling turnkey 302's with "their" configurations using "Y" heads in their crate motors, I can only duplicate those engines. RF and every other manufacturer were hit with the 302 being outlawed by the government 12 months ago in their turnkey cars in Australia. This means I can still use and register my car with that engine spec until December 2007 (as I am an ICV builder). Of course I run the risk of the govt. changing the rules again, so I don't dare to wait that long. I am trying to get it across the line by March-April 06, hence the rush to get a pair of "y" heads.
Out of curiosity, what are they retailing for in the US (per pair, with valve train included – give a price range if possible)?

Thanks again

Bill.

Ron Earp

Admin

I bought a brand new pair of Y heads, with valves, springs, and fully assembled from Summit in 1995 for $1100 US. I don't think you can get them new any longer, but a look around on Mustang boards should produce a pair in the $500-$600 range. I could have a look if you want. I would not think them common, now, but you never know - Ford/SVO might still have some as could large supply houses like Jegs, Summit, etc. as that happens from time to time. Also large Ford engine suppliers like DDS, Keith Kraft, etc.

R

Howard Jones

Supporter

Gene Evans Ford Inc.
4355 Jonesboro Rd.
Union City
Gorgia USA
800-992-9801
770-964-8604
www.GEFracing.com

M6049Y303.....$455.00

I just went to their website, they have them in stock and you can order them on line $455 each.

Merry Christmas

Ron Earp

Admin

Are they assembled? If so, that is a deal. If not, well, not a killer deal but it doesn't matter so much because the original springs on the Y heads were crappy.

Howard Jones

Supporter

Ron, Their webpage says this is a "complete" head with all valve train parts and 64cc combustion chambers.

The "bare" Y head is $425 and the X head "compete" is $525
That makes the springs,valves,retainers,guides etc. worth $25.00!!!!

Ron Earp

Admin

Good price and deal for new ones. Another thought - you know, you could get a set of whatever heads you wanted and simply belt sand the casting company off, and then stamp the Ford SVO Y number on the end. They did have a milled SVO script but I imagine you could leave that off and just make sure the Y serial number is there, or get crafty and have a shop mill the SVO logo back in.

Howard Jones

Supporter

Ron, How about getting the Y heads and doing some port work to them, the X heads use all the same parts except the runners have a slightly larger volume. I took off a set of Y heads and put on a set of X heads. The exaust port is both taller and wider on the X head. The intake is just a little bigger. A little money spent on port work, by someone who knows what they are doing, along with a good 3 angle valve job and some good springs would yield a decent set of heads for not a lot of money.

I bet you could get a nice solid 1.25 HP per inch thru them on pumpgas and keep the mild roller cam that comes with the SVO crate motors.

Ron Earp

Admin

I didn't even think of that! ;-) You are completely correct, I was just trying to think of ways around the "head police" down there! Yes, that will work well. Basically the issue with them was exhaust and the chamber volume as you say. One too small and the other too large. Get the exhaust bigger and the chamber volume down to around 54-58cc for some compression and it'll be good to go.

R

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought of that either----after being mesmerised by Howies avatar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter

You know, if I remember corectly the only way you can tell the difference between the X and Y head is read the part number UNDER the valve cover. Unless the head police take the valve cover off they can't tell the difference.
The X head is a much improved version of the Y head. They will never be AFR's but with a good valve job, some port cleanup, and good springs they will make good power up to the rev limit of hyd lifters. Not GREAT power but then they are about half the price.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter

Thanks for your input guys, and especially to Howard with his wonderful Christmas avatar. It makes talking about heads that much more exciting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'll do the research now and see what I come back with.

Thanks again

Bill.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Hey Jonesie, that avatar is driving me nuts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif--driving me nuts Ho! ho! ho! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back