An Australian Paddock

This is how the cattle are moved in the Ozzie paddock.

17 of these road trains were required to transport this mob.

Helen Springs Station, the Northern Territory.

Attachments

• helen springs.jpg
    helen springs.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 290
The old man use to cart cattle / buffalo out of the northern part of the N.T, back in the late 70's, early 80's.
The N.T is such a big place with a small population, we love it :thumbsup:

Impressive, but for me, not as impressive as the way those cattle get into the yards in the first place - not voluntarily for sure!:thumbsup:

Pete, way back in 73 not after i first came over to Aus i was a Ganger on the original Ghan line up through Oodnadatta and was stationed at Edwards Creek, just up the track from William and about an hr south of the datta, well i got to know Jimmy Dunn [the then Manager] quite well after a while and even helped him build a couple of Camel chasers [ BMW bikes with a Holden 7" back wheel with a 205- 14 tyre on them] anyway just after we met he was telling all about the place and as i came from a farming background back in NZ specificity the King Country, i asked how big was the place , he just grinned and said "oh its only a small spread about 9000"
what acres i said , then he laughed and said " nah square miles"
i can still remember that night around the 44 gallon drum fire as if it was yesterday,
harsh country, but a great place all the same, just like the sea, you have to have a great respect for what it can throw at you.
thanks for the happy memory
cheers John

Back