Any ideas?

Shaun

Supporter
Hi

Finally firing the engine up, well trying to!! Have sorted any minor leaks and got the following

3.5 bar on the fuel rail according to the ECU (am double checking with a manual gauge)
Spark on the plugs, well No 1 plug I checked
MSD is triggering on crank
All fuel pumps running
Have setup the dizzy for TDC on No 1, mine is a dual trigger MSD and have sorted the sensor position as per instructions.
ECU shows no faults
Am running a 351 map from Mick and have altered the firing sequence for my 302

So I crank and nothing, if I test the injectors with the ECU software they fire a good jet, cranking after that and the engine will try to run on I guess the fuel in the inlet chamber.

When I crank and look down the throttle body there is only a tiny squirt of fuel being injected.

Pretty sure its a fuel issue as there is not much in the inlet chamber and the plugs are not wet.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Shaun

Talk to Geoff at Taylor Automotive ( less than 10 miles from you at Chiddingly ) , he has sorted a lot of these problems with FI. Number is 01825 - see his ads in the club magazine !

Shaun

Supporter
Cheers Frank clean forgot about Geoff, hope you are keeping well, when all this Covid stuff is over I'll pop over for a brew and a catch up!!

Hi Shaun,
check the cold start fuel enrichment, sounds like it's not getting enough fuel - it's 5Ltrs remember....
Regards,
Andy

Shaun

Supporter
Cheers Andy will do, does sound like fuel, Micks map I assumed would have had that but worth a check for sure!!

Ed McClements

Supporter
Dizzy set for TDC on no.1.....but is it the compression stroke or exhaust stroke? Caught me out once; did I feel like a prize idiot or what?!

Shaun

Supporter
I did double check!!! I had used my thumb and cranked by hand first time, this time to check I popped the red storage bung in and crank on the motor pulsing it, I can tell you one thing the compression is good, popped out like a zit of a teenager.....So pretty sure I am TDC compression...

Have you set starter crank speed in the ECU. I know from Megasquirt I had to set crank speed for starting otherwise the ECU didn't fire the injectors enough (to low RPM).

Shaun

Supporter
Hi JP, not sure I have, its a map I inherited but it did not have a setting for the HP fuel pump so I am not sure it was ever 100% I will check that as it makes sense the injectors are not triggering during crank but do on test, cheers

Shaun

Supporter
Looking at the map offline I only seem to have this setting
1604701024466.png
Run RPM, cannot change it but that's maybe as I am offline to the ECU

What ECU do you have Shaun? And do you have something like Teamviewer installed, a lot of people that can help with 'remote tuning' at least to get the basics right. If its an ECU i've worked on before, I could help as well, but my time zone might be slightly different.. (update: it's not, your in the UK.. thought you were in the USofA)

Shaun

Supporter
Hi Jasper, its a Motec M800 have you used those before? Got Geoff at Taylors looking at the map as he is just round the corner, he may do a doctors visit to me :)

Yes worked with Motec before, not the M800 series though. Shouldn't be much different. Let me know if you don't come right with Geoff, sure we can give it a try.

Back