Anyone lengthened a Titan Steering rack

Afternoon all, Has anyone lengthened a Titan rack? I have moved my rack up out of the way of my shins by a small margin and as such the rack end ball centers are just a smidgin too short, 5mm each side so a total of 1cm. I did think to get some longer screw cups machined up and some longer nylon sprung spacers, which I am sure would work but maybe not the best solution. I have yet to take the rack apart to see the gubbins inside, I assume there is a solid bar with the pinion teeth cut into it in the centre and then a tube either side, screwed or welded on. Just thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has done something like this.
The other alternative would be to get another bar machined up by Titan with the correct ball centre to ball centre length.
regards Chris

Raising/lowering the rack end-pivots relative to the steering arm is going to change your toe-in (bump-steer) map, likely for the worse.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Have you checked to see what bump steer is presented with the geometry the way it is? It just may be tolerable to non-existant...

Hello Chris
Am +1 with Randy

Before to machine any spacer or watever part just check what this new position gives you as cinematic with bumpteer , etc
You will be more than surprised that sometimes these changes do not affect much all parameter specially if you are able to locate the steering more or less hight ??
do some testing with longer tie rod and different spacers on the steering arm
And then go to a machininid modification

Going to Titan will cost you terribly as they are not enclined to do such prototype things and will invoice you in "damned "manner !!!
Beside Zoe from sales is very "nice" , they charge any hour of drawing and labour !!!!

Ok thanks all, I have managed to shim both ends out a total of 4mm just using some shims I made up and reckon I can shim them out a total of 8mm, if needed. I will do as you all suggest and reassemble at the new (improved!!) hight and see where we are regarding bump steer.
Spoke with Titan today and they can make a new rack bar up to new measurements for £90-100, so not the end of the world if that is the course I need to take but will try using what I have first off.
Many thanks for your input, great to finally meet you too Mic!!

Ok thanks all, I have managed to shim both ends out a total of 4mm just using some shims I made up and reckon I can shim them out a total of 8mm, if needed. I will do as you all suggest and reassemble at the new (improved!!) hight

great to finally meet you too Mic!!

That's good decision .......:thumbsup:

Yes !!!! I enjoyed too to meet you
I have dig out the mold of the "period" seat and am bringing it with me on the 23rd of June ( am at Newark for almost 2 weeks!! Until the 10 of may) We could arrange some meeting on my drive from Portmouth to Newark ?
Did a call to Marcel too !!

Enjoy your build and keep on it...... car must be achieve for next year show now !!!:laugh::laugh:

That would be grate Mic, I can meet up when your over, if you go up via Oxford I can pop over!!
Yes Marcel did mention, I was going to start to do some bodywork for you as have the moulds out, what colour gel coat do you want?? And I guess you want it as lightweight as you can get it??
Quick question, what wiper motor did you use on your car? As will be fitting mine very soon.
regards Chris

Hello
I used a Renault twingo wiper motor ; (used it on others gt cars I built !!)
It has carateristics to be very interesting ; the sytem is absolutly like the 917 or watever similar prototype ... mean that, wiper is driven by the shaft coming from the electric motor and close to this shaft there is another free shaft who hold the paralelle bar like on "historic period" motorsport wipers

another good point all the stuff behind the bodywork is hold by a very light and smart aluminum casting so just need only to weld small brackets on where the shafts are best located to wipe the entire screen ( eventually to match the rounded curve is needed to shorten or alongate the parallele bar to suit the screen !!

Would try to find out pics and will send you those for you to think about

There at breakers this all stuff cost only 25 to max 35 euros !!!! and there are plenty of course !!

Edit ; pics sent directly !!!!

Last edited:
Back