Are you still "Double Clutching"

Pat

GT40s Supporter
Over a beer with some friends last night we had a spirited discussion as to whether double clutching is necessary for racecraft heel and toe down shifts. The schools of thought ranged from:
1. You don't need to do it with a synchromesh transmission, only a proper blip of the gas when the shifter moves through neutral.
2. It's necessary as it accelerates the clutch and eases the shock and wear to the drive-line , especially with a stock transmission.
3. With a good race transmission, you don't need the clutch at all, just match the revs when you downshift.

Any opinions?

Bill Kearley

GT40s Supporter
Orrrrrrr. Take parts from an Eaton autoshift 18 speed, or an F1 car. Input rpm sensor, Output rpm sensor, One X motor, One Y motor, electronic throttle control and a computer. Then push a button as desired. No syncros necessary. sit back and have another non alcoholic beer.

Last edited:
I had once and sold not long ago after a very long restoration, a Model A Ford Phaeton, in that without double clutching you simply had a box of neutrals :)
Not to mention centre throttle, "If in doubt both feet out"
Only caught me off guard once when I was pounding the clutch seeing me life flash in front of me eyes....Rod operated brakes were not a lot better on the right pedal, happy days driving it though, like I am sure the 40 when I finish mine, its not a case of slipping in and popping off for a spin (pardon the pun) but "going" for a drive...
My uncle ages ago had a Ferrari Dino 246, you knew it was going to be a "drive" when he slipped his racing gloves on....The young of today would not understand, unless we teach them!!!