Audi 016 oil cooler

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Bram,
I installed an oil cooler on my Audi 016. The oil drain plug was drilled and tapped for 3/8 NPT and a 90 degree 3/8 pipe to 8 AN was installed. I used the Tilton pump and a 13 row oil cooler. The audi 016 case has a cast in "boss" below the shift sector cover; I drilled and tapped it to 3/8 NPT and in stalled a 3/8 NPT to AN 8 adapter. The photo showes a 45 degree adapter but in the final fit up it was changed to a straight fitting.
Keith

Attachments

• GT40 222.jpg
    GT40 222.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 496
  • GT40 221.jpg
    GT40 221.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 490
  • GT40 233.jpg
    GT40 233.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 568
  • GT40 235.jpg
    GT40 235.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 520
Hi Keith,

Thanks, didn't thought of the "boss", but it will be a pain to do this since I need to disassemble the gearbox to drill and tap the hole. Why did you use 2 oil coolers?

Btw, do you know if the thing next to the drive flange is a temperature sensor?

Greetz,
Bram

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Bram,
The sensor with the two spade connectors above the drive flange is the back up light switch. I used one cooler for the engine oil and the other for the transaxle.
Keith

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Bram,
The sensor with the two spade connectors above the drive flange is the back up light switch. I used one cooler for the engine oil and the other for the transaxle.
I would guess you could drill and tap both the drain and the fill plug and use the drain for the oil pick-up and the fill for the return.
Keith

Bram, one thing Ive thought about when adding a cooler, is the amount of time the pump will be operational. This is because you dont want to 'scavange' all the oil from the diff housing and hope it will be replaced back in the gearbox after its been cooled. The drain/flow holes within the gearbox may not allow rapid movement of the oil through the box to the diff end, and you could wind up with a 'dry' diff while all the oil is sitting in the gearbox end of the transmission.
Could be worth an experiment actually, just having the box stationary, and turning on the pump to see how much is being pumped around. You would have do devise some sort of level indicator in the gearbox and diff to see what is happening - worth some thought though.

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Bram,
The fitting you have shown is the speedometer drive. The fitting with two spade connectors on the rear most part of the transaxle is a "top gear indicator switch". The switch is closed by the rod that shifts the transaxle into overdrive.

The Tilton pump I have installed has a check valve built in so that the oil that is in the pump and cooler can not flow back into the transaxle. When filling the transaxle just run the pump to make sure the pump, hoses and cooler are all full of oil then "top off" the transaxle (in my case it took nearly an extra quart). Because of the check valve, the oil that is in the pump and oil cooler will not drain back into the transaxle causing an "over full" condition. If the pump, hoses and cooler do not have oil in them, the transaxle will probably run low of oil the first time the pump is run.
Keith

Get a diff plate from a 951 016 or a V8. There is a built in pump. When the car moves, the fluid is pumped from the sump to the cooler and back.

Back