audi 01e box?

hi, can anyone help locate a suitable o1e box, or tell me what model/year audi's had a suitable box fitted? i have been reading loads of info so i think i'm quite happy with box choice, just don't know what car to look for at work (write off's) or at the breakers/ebay. there's a box i can get from a '95 2.0 16v coupe. would the box be suitable? if not, does anybody know if the dimentions are the same as an 01e? i can't go any further without a box!:sad: cheers in advance for any help. glen (ps, it will go on a 302)

The 01e is much easier found in the UK, In the USA they came in Audi A6 2.7 and many A4. Lots of info in the search on this site. Also look a couple post Down under yours at the "L33" thread has good info in there.

cheers jim, i spent about 5 hours trawling through old threads last night, i feel much more confident about where to look for the right box, i think they were used in
s4 92-03
passat (although i read somewhere these are weaker??)
a4
a6
a8
s8
s2
rs2
v8
rs4
need to find out what year to look for still!
does this seem correct?

The Passat I think has either the weaker 012 or the o1x, look for FWD. I know they came in the A4 Some a6 and most of the S models but not all. In the UK they still used, in some Audis, the 01e in 2004 models. Do a google search I found a lot of info. Just type 01e or 01x (a little weaker trans). Then type donor car or replace 01e and you will be entertained for hours. What are you planning to do with the trans, if it is light (under 350HP) look at the 016 while you’re at it. I am no authority on this subject but I have spent about 100hrs researching Audi boxes. Also look at Lambo lounge forum (good info there as well). The 016 or O1e (x) will work fine with a 302 SBF sub 350hp/350tq. Be aware some of the 01(e or X) are computer controlled.

Be aware some of the 01(e or X) are computer controlled
this worries me!! what models? and what does the ecu actually control? and why?
(off to google for a few days..........):thumbsup:

Glen,
My 01X is not computer controlled, it is a plain old manual.

You may want to have a look at joining the GT40 Enthusiasts Club, contact Tony Hunt. They have/had a couple of 01Es for sale for members a while back.

Brett

Glen,

look on vagcat.com there you can browse through models and look what gearbox they used.
If you can't locate one I can get a couple, codes: FRK, GVS and GBA for 1600 euro all reconditioned units. Also used ones but need to ask for price.

regards,

Bram Boekestein
The Netherlands

cheers guys (where are all the girls?)
there is a lot of conflicting info between the 01e and 01x, some posts say one is stronger, other posts say otherwise, so i'll look for both and buy what ever turns up first at an affordable price (i.e. cheap)
jesus...i'd never heard of an 01e/x 2 weeks ago!! there's so much to learn!!!.....hmmmmmm....then i need to find out about ford v8's!!!
luckily, i enjoy the learning as much as the building, and that as much as the driving (that last bit is not really true:uneasy:)
but i love it!!!

The US never got FWD 01E boxes. All 6 speed gas/diesels in Europe to 2004 were 01E gearboxes, if that helps. The 5 speed was used 92-96.

cheers guys (where are all the girls?)
there is a lot of conflicting info between the 01e and 01x, some posts say one is stronger, other posts say otherwise, so i'll look for both and buy what ever turns up first at an affordable price (i.e. cheap)
jesus...i'd never heard of an 01e/x 2 weeks ago!! there's so much to learn!!!.....hmmmmmm....then i need to find out about ford v8's!!!
luckily, i enjoy the learning as much as the building, and that as much as the driving (that last bit is not really true:uneasy:)
but i love it!!!

01X is an all aluminium unit, and is taken to be slightly weaker than the 01E with it's cast steel center section. The 0A2 is the next generation gearbox after the 01X.

01E was used from 1992-2003

01X used from 2003-2007

0A2 used from 2002-present

There is yet another generation of VAG's venerable 6 speed that moves the front drive flanges forward significantly, that is found on the newest models.

an 01e sold on ebay last week for £21:sad: i missed the auction end!!
and, to add insult to injury....
one sold yesterday for £1!!!!!!!!:veryangry: i was watching that too. took dogs for a walk, when i came back, it had finished:furious:

Keep in mind there are 2 varieties of the 01E and 01X.. Both gearboxes came in FWD or AWD. AWD is useless in a 2 wheel drive only project.

Also the FWD 01E are notorious for having pinion bearing issues. Apparently the factory set the pinion backlash too tight which caused the pinion bearing to gall (about 90 percent of the FWD 01E's i've produced have had this issue).

I have one of these that I can help you with. Give me a call and I will be happy to work this out with you.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work

:pleased:cheers eric but you are a long way from me!! i'll get one for a few hundred quid if i wait. got to start building my chassis as steel arrived today!:thumbsup:

Back