audi to sbc apater info wanted

Hi guys!
its been quite a while!nice to be back!
i know that there are several companies producing them comercially, but i wanted to know if anyone out there can point me towards a diagram/schematic/autocad file or something from which i can make an adapter plate for an audi trans to a sbc motor? i just cant see spending 6-7-800 for a 1inch piece of mild steel.
i'm planning to bolt an audi trans to a pontiac sb 400cid engine, and drop it in the back of my gt40 (fiberfab valkyrie).
i thought that there was a link on the lambo lounge, but the admin of that site couldnt find or remember it.

any, and all info will be MOST appreciated!!!!!
Thanks all!!!
Dana [email protected]

Kennedy sells the plate (in aluminum) and the special
adaptive flywheel for $ 550 for sbc or sbf.
The Pontiac engine is a larger/heavier motor....
I'd reconsider.

MikeD

Howard Jones

Supporter
I know that it is easy to think that some of this stuff should be easy to make so why does it cost so much. A case in point is an adapter plate. If it isn't near perfect flat and dead on centered it will make more trouble that you can believe. Many a gearbox has been eaten alive because the input shaft was off center "just a little". Then we have suspension parts like a "simple" A arm. Its just a bent piece of tubing, right? Not if the bung that the rod end screws into pulls out. It will do that at the hightest point of loading and in these cars that could put you into a onramp guardrail VERY hard.

I have always believed that I would try and do as much as I could on my build including making a lot of my own parts but I have left the Itelkillya parts to people who REALLY know what they are doing.

I have a CAD drawing of the SBC to Audi plate but I don't know if that will do you much good for the Pontiac engine. Doesn't the Pontiac engine have a different bolt pattern?

Hi Eric.
Is there any chance that you are willing to cher that Cadfile with me?! Best regards Lars Palmkvist

wow! that is quite a bit of info! thanks all! i never thought about improper lining between the two- i didn't know it was all that important- glad i found that out beforehand! and now that i think about it, by the time i make an adapter plate, buy a new clutch, pressureplate, etc., i'd probably have $550 worth of parts and frustration anyway...hmmm. i would like to acquire that autocad file from Eric, for curiosity/archival purposes, who knows, perhaps i'll take a whack at it just to see if i can.

as for the pontiac 400 vs. sb chevy bolt pattern question- i'm mostly certain that the patters are the same. if anyone knows for sure- let us know, or i could ask the guys in my second gen camaro site- they know more about this than i do.

Eric, if i could bother you, i'd love to have a copy of that autocad file sent to me at [email protected]

thanks all!!!!
Dana

Well, thats just great! i thought that the bolt patterns were the same cause my old 76 trans am had the sbp400 with a muncie 4-sp trans, and i knew that the trans could be bolted to a chevy 350, but after my last post, i thought about it some more and got to wondering if the bellhousing had to be changed to do that, apperantly it does.

sooo...any suggestions on how to bolt a pontiac 400 up to an audi trans, or maybe a renault, without costing me my firstborn?
any help would be most apreciated!!!!
Thanks! all
Dana

Back