Audi trans axle strengthen??

Hi all,

I can recall seeing something mentioned about a plate or similiar, that can be added to strengthen the Audi trans axles.

Am I on the right track, has anyone heard of this or used one?

Thanks

Bernie

Bernie,
The attached may be of use. A few 40's here have had the mod done successfully. Mine included. The info originally came from Lambo lounge if i recall.

I have a CAD file of the plate which I can not seem to attach so if you PM me your email address and I will send direct.

The plate if cut from the cad file may need some tweeking to suit your gear diameters though.

Cheers,
Ricky Virago.

Attachments

• Gearbox Reinforcing plate installation.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 744
Thought that I would update on the Audi transmission strengthening experience.

Just in case someone is considering doing this.

See Ricky's file and photos above.

The upgrade involves a plate that is installed between the gear carrier case and the end casing. The gear carrier casing is the cast centre section. This is the section that fails.

It is the only cast section that carries the gears - gear carrier casing.

The failure is due to the pinion moving backwards and breaking the rear pinion bearing at the rear of the carrier casing. This bearing has a thin area of casing casting around it and generally breaks when the pinion moves backwards.

You are not able to weld the broken casing as the bearing section is broken as well and it is impossible to repair and re machine this area.

The new plate supports this bearing.

The files and photos on site here made the change/addition reasonably simple. As we had the turbo trans axle there was a little machining needed to get the larger final gear in plate. This involved opening the clearance around the opening - 10mm or 1/2" taken out.

My thanks to Jim Cowden from Sydney who machined the rear casing to allow the installation of the plate. Nothing was to much trouble for Jim - even packaging and posting back promptly.

The entire process is not an expensive one if done from the start. I would do this upgrade if you propose to use the 5 speed Audi box. The upgrade appears to be good for engines up to 450HP.

At 440HP I sure I'm OK, as I don't think I be revving and dropping at that HP...

Thanks again for all involved. I appreciated the PM's and emails.

Good luck with your transmission upgrade and strengthening.

Bernie

Hi all,

Gave the GT40 a real work out yesterday and all appears good.

The strengthening plate is not that obvious one installed and I have only experienced a slight weeping of oil which I will get onto with some extra tension.

When you are going at 9/10th you really get to understand and appreciate the GT40. It was a really nice drive and test. I'm hooked all over again after being out of the drivers seat during the re build.

Graeme

Thanks for attaching the link. I did see it a while ago and could not find it again to place it here.

I found it an easy process and one that is certainly holding up at the moment.

Bernie...:idea:

Ricky,
Do you still have the CAD file for the strengthening plate? Could I get a copy?

Thanks,
Kurt

Bernie,
The attached may be of use. A few 40's here have had the mod done successfully. Mine included. The info originally came from Lambo lounge if i recall.

I have a CAD file of the plate which I can not seem to attach so if you PM me your email address and I will send direct.

The plate if cut from the cad file may need some tweeking to suit your gear diameters though.

Cheers,
Ricky Virago.

Kurt,

I found this after a 2.5 hour search yesterday. (I knew it was there, somewhere.) Ron Earp posted the igs file for a fellow member. I plan on using this file to make my own. I cannot, however, verify it's accuracy yet, but this is the message that I read about it. (This thread was dated 2-6-08 if you wanted to read it.)

icon14.gif
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: audi 016 reinforcement plate<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #deedf2; COLOR: #deedf2" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Guy's,

If your interested I have an .igs 3D model that I designed based on Jim Dinners work. I used a CMM to measure the rear section of the Audi 016 trans then build the model based on those dimensions. I used this model to CNC machine my own plate. I can not offer the machining services, but if you'd like the .igs model let me know and I will email it to you. :)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

http://www.gt40s.com/images/audi_trans_plate.igs

This jpg was also included in the thread.

Good luck,
Joe

Back