Audi trans axle stronger??

Hi all.

You may have read that I have damaged the casing etc. of my GT40 trans axle. The Audi trans I have is from a diesel the 3U. Final ratio .64.

Firstly I need one. They are in the 1983 to 1987 Audi's.

Then I have read somewhere - after doing a search - and was wondering what is the upgrade or plate that can be added to strengthen the Audi trans axle.

First things first I'm still looking for a lead on a 3U trans axle.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bernie

I should have noticed you are half a world away. You will probably want to find someone a little closer. I would talk to Roaring Forties. They may know someone who can do it.

Jonathan S

Thanks for the lead/link.

I'm often in the States, so can soon get the plate direct or have it shipped to friends there.

I chase up the lead/link and get back.

Thanks again.

Bernie

Hi Bernie,

I haven't been looking since I got back from my holiday, but I have a .igs file for the plate (got it from a forum member).
'
Have you got a casing? Or shall I have another look for one?

Grtz. Bram

Just so people know, the plate I received from ChassisWorks was not a perfect fit. The openings for the gears in the plate were too small and I had to gind them out some. Hopefully they have fixed that since then but I have no way of knowing since they did not respond to my email when I informed them of the issue.

Johnathan S

The plate you talk of, is it a strengthening plate for the transmission?

The chassisworks site is hard to access also. Perhaps they are no longer operational.

I surfed around the 'Lamboforum' on the chassisworks link and could not get access to the site here either .

Will keep looking. I have searched this forum as well for anything on improving the strength of the trans axle. - in particular the RF site as they use the Audi trans axles.

Thanks

Bernie

The New Roaring Forties

Paul,

Thank you for the links.

I very much appreciate the assistance that The New Roaring Forties and RCR have been giving me as an owner of an opposition GT40.

Thanks again.

Bernie

The New Roaring Forties

Paul,

Thank you for the links.

I very much appreciate the assistance that The New Roaring Forties and RCR have been giving me as an owner of an opposition GT40.

Thanks again.

Bernie

I have the drawings for the strengthening plate and can make them if anyone wants one. I can also mill the housing if you need that too. Send me a PM for more information.

A plate won't strengthen the 016 in high horsepower applications. The end of the pinion shaft is unsupported and with the application of enough torque will cause the shaft to bend and the 5th gear to be damaged.

Scott, so you're saying such a plate is not beneficial at all? Or, only in low horsepower applications? Not too many low horsepower applications in a GT40...

A plate won't strengthen the 016 in high horsepower applications. The end of the pinion shaft is unsupported and with the application of enough torque will cause the shaft to bend and the 5th gear to be damaged.

What do you consider high HP? I have two friends that have these in their modified 944's. One is a Magnason supercharged LS1 (650HP 550 Lbs Ft at the rear wheels) he drag races a dozen or so times a year, the other has a 924 with a highly modified Grand National turbocharged v6 (600HP 520 Lbs ft at the rear wheels) he just has fun on the street. Both of these cars have been running like this for a couple of years with the plate without ant transaxle problems. Although they are using 083 version (944 turbo) but 5th gear is identicle to the 016. The difference in the turbo version is in the ring gear diameter and front pinion bearing but the rest of the transaxle is all 016.

I should also mension that the guy that invented this plate builds Diablo replicas in Canada using supercharged Buick V6's and he hasn't broken one since he started using the plate.

Pete T

Yes I agree as my understanding they are good to assist with mid range horsepower.

I have just 445 HP at the flywheel and this was on the dyno at 4100rpm from memory.

So guess if the plate can handle about 350 - 400 HP this should suffice. I would not be looking at dropping a clutch at 3000rpm +. Guess the wheel spin would handle most.

I cracked the gear carrier cast casing after leaving the bitumen bouncing onto the grass and then bouncing back about 6" down onto the bitumen.

The engine revs went off the dial, as I was thrown around inside.

Once the wheels hit the bitumen the trans axle dropped oil on the spot where the wheels made contact with the bitumen.

I have previously read that the plates were good for the 450 - 500HP. Possibly someone can come in here on specifics..

Thanks everyone I very much appreciate the links and feedback.

Bernie

Back