Australian GT40 Fibreglass Bodywork

As detailed previously, I have a (very) long term build in progress. I 'commissioned' a chassis about 23 years ago, and during the 8 year delivery process I was offered a body, under the proviso that I ask no questions as to its origins.

I've decided to ask questions. Do any of our Sydney members know who may have produced this body? Obviously a copy from a good original, (whether original or repro) but with a number of quite deliberate alterations from original. Straight shut lines modified to curves, door window openings changed, etc.

The workmanship has obviously been performed by a man who knows his stuff, as the thickness of glass, joining of inner and outer panels, general smoothness of finish, detail reproduced (textured finish to inner panels - roof, door skins etc), but let down by misalignments all over the place.

I'd love to track the man down and have a chat.

Clive

Clive, I think you need to post some more body photos (I know it shows in your build, on the chassis), and advise what year it was made, or when you acquired it exactly, to get further info.

G'day Dalton,

The body is a quite accurate copy of an original, to the best of my research. It would have been produced about 1990, and I have a firm belief is from a Sydney based individual. Built in strangeness included the doors, which seem to be copies of the original 'street' car, with square lower rear corners, and low lower front corners.

I am intrigued that the identity of the fibreglasser has been kept quiet, and can only summise that he had access to a real one which donated a mould. George Palbys?

An interesting chase.

Clive

Hi Clive

it the door looks like this it is likely that is not a copy of an original

d3_27.jpg

THere are more clues that leads me to the assumption that it is KVA body or a copy of it. One is the discribed and pictured above side window shape ( the body above is def a KVA) and the other clue is the textured inner surface which is typical for KVA or copies of it. I have seen GTD´s and MDA´s sporting the same structure ( may be Tornado has it also). Another thing with is more typical for this bodies can be seen on your body as well. It is the body shape in the area where the side view mirrors can me mounted ( the transition from the door to the front clip). THis is more flat round shaped on your body ( like on KVA´s, GTD´s, TORNADO´s, CAV´s, MDA´s). Orignal cars have a more "cornery" shape in that place.
10170p1008_rr.jpg

Also the spot where the b-pillar goes int othe roof. On your spider there is a ridge there ( like on KVA´s and copies of it again), which to my knowledge was not a seen on original cars
So rather not a copy of an original, more like the copy of a copy or an original KVA, GTD or so

TOM

Last edited:
G'day Tom,

I think you have nailed it. When I first looked at having a chassis built, the man had been given the job of assembling a KVA kit, at that time about the only one made.

Seems that someone has taken a mould of the body, and has turned out mine (and one other that I know of). I have no idea if that original KVA was ever completed, but guess it would have been for a Sydney owner.

Good to know that the moulds exist somewhere, in case of accident.

Clive

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Clive
do you have any further info ie names etc , a KVA kit went thru several peoples hands here in sydney, it was copied by a few. I may know where the moulds are

Trevor,

I came across the KVA when a Brabham owning neighbour of yours still resided in Castle Hill. He would know what happened to it, as he was the middle man for my body.

Clive

G'day Tom,

I think you have nailed it. When I first looked at having a chassis built, the man had been given the job of assembling a KVA kit, at that time about the only one made.

Seems that someone has taken a mould of the body, and has turned out mine (and one other that I know of). I have no idea if that original KVA was ever completed, but guess it would have been for a Sydney owner.

Good to know that the moulds exist somewhere, in case of accident.

Clive

Clive i wouldn´t worry about that, to my knowledge the RF body is also an offspirng off this KVA´s/GTD´s and there should be some moulds around.

TOM

Hi Clive and Trevor,
A friend of mine bought 2 x Boss type Gapp and Roush Aluminium Cylinder heads and Manifold off this same gent about 20 years ago.Said by memory he was of European descent and a machinist/fitter.He went back several weeks later and bought the Weber manifold he was also selling.He found him in The Trading Post.
He remembers some of the GT40 body being there and there was a chassis - not sure if GT40 or not that had considerable amount of Aluminium panels and fabrication.
He said was back of Castle Hill and garage was under the house.
He was selling up to move to Goulburn area he believes.If his name was mentioned he would recall.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

G'day Chris,

Yep, same gent, who will remain nameless at this point. I am still smarting at the length of time he took to produce the goods.

Clive

Back