Australian Historic motorsport footage

Has anyone else been watching the early motorsport footage on ABC2? I was too young to really appreciate it at the time so I was surprised to see how exciting the racing really was. Tonight they showed a 1968 “Sports Car” race (probably now called a GT race) at Wawrick Farm. Frank Matich in his own built Matich race car blew away Chris Amon in an open top Ferrari P4. Started at pole and was never headed. Both cars streaked away from the rest of the field. I have read so much about that Matich but to actually see the dominance of that car was another level again.

An amusing topic of conversation by the commentary team was the rear spoiler on the Matich. It was obviously a new fangled contraption that they didn’t quite understand, describing its purpose at one stage “to counter the high speeds of the car”. A device to slow the car down? Amazing! hehe. A passing comment was also made about the Chaparal (not racing) having “an entire spring loaded rear wing to adjust the balance of the car and increase grip to the rear wheels”. Well they at least got that one right.

FYI. The program is “Late Night Heros” ABC2 11:00pm. I discovered it three nights ago and its been on every night since.

Hi Chris,
I discovered it last week as well, I was watching Bob Jane in his mustang against Ian Geoghan in his mustang with a lot of cooper s's in the field. The racing is fantastic as is the driving, the suspension set up was an interesting feature on the mustangs.

Steve

HILLY

Supporter
Isn’t it a great show.
It has been on for some time now and when I first found it they were replaying the last ashes series in Australia that the likes of Greg Chappell, Lillie and Marsh played in. (Beat the Poms again!!). Then it was some early rugby league tests and now the motor racing. You mentioned the Cooper S’s Steve. How good were they (and scary). I can’t remember names now cause I was half asleep but there was a cooper running second to and matching it with a mustang in one of the races last night that was just awesome until he hit the wall. By the way is there anything that Norman May has not called??

Chris,

I'm sure I (along with others probably) mentioned this show (Late Night Legends BTW) months ago.
This is a new series.
In the old series there was a lovely moment when my all-time unfavourite commentator Will Hagon says that Colin Bond (in a F5000) spins due to understeer.
The Commentary is truly awful but the racing is miles ahead of the dodgem cars they force on us these days.

Tim.

Peter,
I think it was Foley in the Cooper S. In a previous telecast he also managed to kill a few big Monaros in a battle in his Alfa… the Monaro blasting down the straight and the Alfa casualy catching it around the twisties. If memory serves right, there was a also very young Peter Brock driving an XU1 Torana and had to come in after blowing a tyre, but not before setting a lap record. A very amusing pit stop as they removed one wheel nut at a time and carefully placing it on the ground before removing the next :) Alan Moffat was leading in a GT HO until 3 laps from the end when his rear tyre blew too. He decided not to bring the car in but instead crawled along pit straight passing the finish line a second after the eventual winner (in a Valiant Charger).

Tim,
Sorry, it probably went over my head when you last mentioned Late Night Legends (Oops). I’ve only just managed to get access to ABC2.

HILLY

Supporter
Yep, that’s him Chris. There was certainly nothing casual about his drive in the cooper.
Eyes would have been wide open at all times I’d say.:eek:

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
I never thought I would say this but "fortunately I grew up at Liverpool" and therefore was able to attend every meeting at Warwick Farm between 67 and 72.Some memories just stay with you forever.Hopefully the ABC Shop will have the series available on dvd soon(currently not listed),since I do not get Oz tv here.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Names like Bob Jane, Colin Bond, Pete and Leo, Norm Beechy, Alan Moffett, Frank Matich if you know these names you are old bastards.:chug: I only got one episode of motor racing and tonight is Davis cup tennis:mad: . I hope they bring out a DVD as well Hoppy.

Back