Axle dilema

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all,

Looking for input on which way to go with half shafts. Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Option 1 - bottom setup in the picture:

Using standard half shaft "off the shelf" with aluminum (or steel?) adapters to O1E.

Option 2 - top portion of the picture:

Using outer joint from the shaft (pictured) and inner joint from Audi. Custom shaft with Audi splines on one end and Ford splines on other end.

Possibly a third option?

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 435.jpg
    Renato's GT40 435.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 395
Renato,

If you can make it so you can get off the shelf parts, go there every time it will save money and grief in the long run

Cheers Leon

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I Agree. I did the adapter thing on my 240z for 930 CVs and axles. Adapter was a one-time project, with off-the-self replacement pieces.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Renato, I just had a set of half shafts made for my GTD. These guys can make ANYTHING you like and use off the shelf CV joints on both ends. My set cost $800 complete. They will set you up with a account number so if you need to replace them you just need to order the same pieces from your account number.

The Driveshaft Shop | Home page

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Guys!

I like both suggestions.

The custom shaft makes for a nice and clean install. "Factory" look.

On the other hand the adapter is cheap and can make it myself. Off the shelf CV axles are cheap and available quick.

BTW guys, any suggestions/experiences with adapter material. Happen to have a slug of 6061 T6. Anyone used this material successfully out there?

Renato

Thanks Guys!

I like both suggestions.

The custom shaft makes for a nice and clean install. "Factory" look.

On the other hand the adapter is cheap and can make it myself. Off the shelf CV axles are cheap and available quick.

BTW guys, any suggestions/experiences with adapter material. Happen to have a slug of 6061 T6. Anyone used this material successfully out there?

Renato

FWIW, I spent $1060 including shipping from the Drive Shaft Shop. They claim the things are good well past 500HP at least.

Here are some numbers off of them.

right is 21" fl/bb. It's a 216 outer with a Audi 3.0 tripod inner with a 36 spline tripod in the inner and a 216 with 36 spline race
4340 steel bars

Back