B 17 Survival Story

Col Robert Morgan.
I flew with Bob on two occasions. He was a member of the local flying club and real estate agent in the town of Asheville. His second wife, Linda, had him going to shows around the world. Always busy. He wasn't the 'bigger than life' guy as some of our heroes, but rather quite. If you were in right place with people he knew, he could tell some stories. Especially about the tour the crew took flying about the US raising money for bonds. Locally, they almost didn't get the B17 stopped landing here in Asheville. Or the locally famous buzzing Asheville while flying between the city hall and county courthouse buildings. Great memories of other firsthand stories. Sitting on my grandfathers front porch and listening to Paul Rockwell (later OSS) talk about the time he and his brother (Kiffin) were in the Layfaette Escadrille. Or meeting Gunther Raul here in Asheville. I just love to hear their stories and watch their faces. It was always about the good times and not the bad times.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
One of the more enjoyable experiences I've had was to participate in the Collings foundation activities. Here are a couple of photos from those experiences.

Open hatch on top:
standard.jpg

From the upper nose turret:
standard.jpg

As you can see, these trips are not dumbed down for the least common idiot. Don't step off of the bomb-bay walkway, don't lean against the hatch or control cables, and you can go anywhere on the plane. The experience brings a whole new meaning to the conditions the crews faced, and the term "current leading technology" for that day and time.

Pat

Supporter
When I was growing up we had Frank, a Boeing engineer, who lived a couple of doors down the street. During the war he was a waist gunner in a Fort. One day he was visiting with my Dad who was showing him some photos my Father took in Normandy shortly after the invasion. So after he and my Dad shared a few beers, Frank came back with some of his own pictures. One was of what appeared to be a wadded up ball of aluminum foil in a field. There were perhaps a dozen additional pictures from different angles. They all looked the same to me, twisted metal in a ball -unrecognizable as anything else. Well, it turned out to be what was left of Frank's B-17 when it got back to the field in England. Because Frank was severely wounded, he apparently couldn't jump with the others and elected to "go in with the ship". The pilot, because he refused to leave Frank, elected to try to land the crippled bomber alone (apparently something very difficult under the best of circumstances). The result was the wadded up ball of metal in the pictures. Somehow they survived but it was the end of the war for both. As a result of what Frank decided was his "Boeing good fortune" he promised himself he was going to go to Seattle to work for them. Twenty years later, he was part of the team of Boeing engineers that built the Saturn V rocket that went to the moon. It's one of those things as a kid, you never forget.

Back