Best BRM replica wheels

Hi all

My next job is researching wheels. I want to get a set of 15" BRM knock on wheels. I am planning on using the wheels Tornado recommend which I believe are made by Image.
brm6_15inchc.jpg

I know there are a lot of owners with these wheels but I've heard they are quite heavy so I'd like to know what owners think. Are these the best wheels to go for or are there any alternatives?

Again just trying to get all the facts before I start ordering parts

Thanks as always guys

Trev

my personal opinion

For me the Image wheels don´t look quite right, due to the mounting circumfence they need to bolt one the rimhalfs the center looks odd compared to vintage wheels.

check them out and you will see what i mean.
br01_front.jpg

:: Welcome To Vintage Wheels ::
a much nicer wheel in my opinion amd much closer to the original look. The blue car you had pictured on the other thread is using a wheel which looks exactly like it.
imagefetch.ashx

Also the outer rim looks much more cleaner

TOM

Last edited:

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
I agree. I'd go with a one piece wheel. Two piece wheels with the inner rim never look right IMHO.

No 40 here, but the Vintage wheels (I've seen them quite a few times) are the bees knees! IMO, of course.

I do like the look of the vintage wheels but need to check the offsets as I don't think the Vintage and Image wheels have the same offset and the Image wheels are what are designed to run on the standard Tornado setup

Trev

Trev,

I know vintage wheels can be fitted to the stock Granada hubs on a GTD using the supplied adapters. They take into account the offset, so the fit is correct. I suggest you give Bob Lacey a call to check on the details for a fit for your car.

Looking at the Vintage wheels a bit more closely and they don't seem to have the 'GT40' lettering embossed on the spokes as per the originals. Also is it me or do the spokes look too thin and pointy, the originals look a little thicker.

I was just looking at Keith Bakers build and his wheels look good, the centres look very close to the originals but I assume they are Image wheels as they appear to be 2 piece wheels.

attachment.php

So are Vintage the closest looking 1 piece then?

Trev

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ditto on Phils, PS Engineering, wheels. I recomend them strongly. I have the very first set of 17 inch BRM wheels on my GTD. They are VERY strong. I went over the curb very hard, hard enough to pop the tire(friggin around with the brake bias). It split out the side wall. Nothing, no dammage at all to the wheel! That same wheel has been on the car for at least 4 more years without issues.

He will know exactly what you need for wheel offset and lug diameter for a GTD. He has a website now. PS Vintage Wheels Home Page

Thanks for the info guys, I had a look at the PS website but couldn't see any BRM wheels shown in their product gallery. I've emailed them to find out what they offer.

Does anyone have any pictures of them, ideally the 15" size?

Trev

Ok just had a quick reply from PS. Turns out the BRM wheels they make are 2 piece. Ideally I'd have preferred a 1 piece wheel like the vintage.

So far vintage are my preferred choice but I'd need to see if I can get them to fit my car

Trev

Hi Trev, Yes my wheels are image, it matters not to me that they may or maybe not within a millimetre of the originals, they look good and have the offsets as reccomended by the manufacturer which in its self is a guarentee.
My 1st GTD 40 had 17" wheels by image and I never had any issues with them and the car was on circuit a lot. These 15" BRM's in matt black will also be hammered on the circuit ..dont anticipate a problem.

Choices ,, Choices
Regards

Keith

Attachments

• web 3529.jpg
    web 3529.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,209
  • web 3533.jpg
    web 3533.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,405
  • web 3534.jpg
    web 3534.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 1,569
Hi Trev, Yes my wheels are image, it matters not to me that they may or maybe not within a millimetre of the originals, they look good and have the offsets as reccomended by the manufacturer which in its self is a guarentee.
My 1st GTD 40 had 17" wheels by image and I never had any issues with them and the car was on circuit a lot. These 15" BRM's in matt black will also be hammered on the circuit ..dont anticipate a problem.

Choices ,, Choices
Regards

Keith

Hmm indeed, choices. I have to say your wheels look very tasty and as you've had them powder coated it's more difficult to see that they are 2 piece. Also what tyres did you go for, are they the Avon CR6ZZ's?

Trev

Back