Boeing Wiper Motor and Gearbox

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Is anyone interested in a Boeing Wiper motor and gearbox system?

This was from a Boeing727

I quote
As to the wiper motors...... we have a 727 that is being scrapped, and they hav the same motor as the 707's that I knew. BUT the motor attaches to a gearbox and has one at each pilot station ie two per airplane. The physical size would not fit into a wee car behind a dash board. Also the selector switch for the wipe speed goes slow, med, fast and park, so would not really lend itself to this application. [Also is 28v DC] Now there may well be other types of 707 wipers but that is the state here

Is this the same part as used on original 40's?

What is it worth - make an offer and if it is worthwhile I'll get my brother to strip it out and send it.

I also have attached a pdf of the Boeing parts manual to confirm what is available.

cheers
Ian

Attachments

• wiper.pdf
    120.5 KB · Views: 584

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Paul

Either that or it landed the wrong way up!

Fred
What more details do you wnat - the pdf file (upside down but prints ok!) is attached to my original post.

It is a higher voltage than a normal road car so again I am unsure if this is the correct part.

If someone is in the know please confirm.

I also have him looking ar scrapped latches etc - may get some similar to the Hartwells (but not Hartwell) as his group do not use that manufacturer.

Cheers
Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Paul

Either that or it landed the wrong way up!

Fred
What more details do you wnat - the pdf file (upside down but prints ok!) is attached to my original post.

It is a higher voltage than a normal road car so again I am unsure if this is the correct part.

If someone is in the know please confirm.

I also have him looking at scrapped latches etc - may get some similar to the Hartwells (but not Hartwell) as his group do not use that manufacturer.

Cheers
Ian

Ian,

My question was if you would have one set and what would be the price.

As far as voltage is concerned,I was told it is 24V and we have 12V wich would half the speed of the wiper but still suit as this was used at the time on the race cars.

RGds
Fred

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
My brother has said he will get the units stripped out of the scrap plane.

They will then be tested to see if they run and will come complete with wiper arm unless this has been vandalised (not much else will fit this spline)

Once he has them a confirmed price will be given as these will cost a fair amount of time to retrieve as cockpit instrument panel has to be removed before the wipers mechanisms are visible.

He has said that if these are successful he may be able to source more through his contacts.

At this stage I would presume these will be £200 - £250 plus freight to the UK. (Or about double that of a Lucas unit from SVC)

You will need to surce a 4 position switch - this is not available at persent (apart from which the switch would not be period correct)

More to follow when known

Oh yes no FAA / CAA certificates will NOT be available.

Regards
ian

Last edited:

Chris Duncan

Supporter
wiper motor

From the picture it appears that this wiper motor assembly may not work. Some of the originals had a Boeing wiper motor but it had a cable. In other words the motor was separate from the pivot, connected by a cable. The part in the official GT40 parts manual also has a cable.

There's not much room at the pivot, that's the reason for a remote motor. This motor might work, it depends on the individual setup and whether there's room at the pivot.

The picture in the parts manual is for a mk3, which is similar to the mk 1 in that it uses the same motor & cable.

I think I'm correct in saying these boeing wiper motors were only used on the mk2s and mk4s.
The mk2 used them as its original mk1 wiper motor was repositioned to make way for the front mounted oil tank.

Maybe Jim or one of the other mk4 guys can tell us if their wiper motors are direct drive.
I understand the motors are modified in some way, but not sure exactly how.

I'm up for one when they arrive Ian.

Cheers,
John.
[edit] send me a pm when they arrive (or give me a call, you have my number). I'll be in Germany for a few days at the ring, so if you don't get a call straight back, you now know why ;)

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have heard the units have been stripped out and are sitting on my brother's office floor - just need boxing then to Fedex for the trip over - probably some time next week in the UK

Ian

John W said:
The picture in the parts manual is for a mk3, which is similar to the mk 1 in that it uses the same motor & cable.

I think I'm correct in saying these boeing wiper motors were only used on the mk2s and mk4s.
The mk2 used them as its original mk1 wiper motor was repositioned to make way for the front mounted oil tank.

Maybe Jim or one of the other mk4 guys can tell us if their wiper motors are direct drive.
I understand the motors are modified in some way, but not sure exactly how.

I'm up for one when they arrive Ian.

Cheers,
John.
[edit] send me a pm when they arrive (or give me a call, you have my number). I'll be in Germany for a few days at the ring, so if you don't get a call straight back, you now know why ;)

I'll take a look soon.

I think it's direct drive and I beleive Lee Holman would know about them.

Best

Back