Bonded composite panel chassis constuction

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Neat idea, but I wish they would have used something a little more elegant than a 356 to showcase it.... I may be the only person on the planet that has little love for the bath-tub...

Terrific, a chassis I probably can't get repaired locally when I damage it!

If weight's such a concern just do it out of titanium .... btw, Fran, steel bad, aluminum okay, titanium gooooooood ..... my 917's now got a titanium addiction going on, it was too heavy before ;)

Nor forgiving

but sexy and light :)

Doesn't the Alfa intrigue others as its the first truly attainable mass produced CF car I'm aware of that has gone mainstream. Just as others initially freaked out in the states with Audi A8's and Al Jag's, I think the steel car is dead for anything beyond commuter level with the F150 leading the drive of Al to mainstream acceptance.

Last edited:
AFAIK, the problem with this kind of process are the joints. Maybe they came up with a smart idea and lower these issues?

Personally, I find it smart. Imagine, design your chassis on your computer, if you can, perform some computations. THen send some dxf files to them, and a few weeks later you receive you car flat packed, just like you would do for laser cut parts...

Oliv ier

AdditiveManufacturingShowCar_zps98266050.jpg

From Rapid Manufacturing Show

https://www.facebook.com/DiscoverRAPID

Perhaps they used a 356 (instead of a GT or cobra, for example) because the 356 has almost no power and therefore not a lot of stress on the chassis.....

Yes, I would imagine bonding of the panels for strength and durability is the real challenge. With CF you use gusseting and build up in the joints and high stress areas, not so easy with this type of construction.

I was at a RV show this weekend an noticed that the Cricket trailer uses Bonded Composite Panel Construction. The foam panels are about 1" thick and clad with aluminum sheet on both sides. The panels are joined with quite intricate brackets formed from 1/8" aluminum.

Overall the trailer is very light and rigid. The Cricket trailer was deigned by a NASA engineer.

cricket-image-lounge-2_web-2ycjyp47k57un24vqhmya2.jpg

blue_cricket.png

Back