Bonding heat shield

Can anyone reccomend a good product for bonding the aluminium heat shield to the rear fibreglass deck?
And while we are on the subject, does anyone have a reccomendation for a cheap supplier for the aluminium heat shield.
Thanks.

Paul, Have you tried Neil Foreman for the heat sheild?

Also, someone mentioned to me to use fibre resin once??? If all else faisl Niel also sells adhesive that he uses on the Foremans.

Brett

Paul,
take a leaf out of the formula 1 mechanics book-they use clear silicon.
I used this to adhere the material to the underside of my rear deck, still perfect 3 years later.

A couple of ideas come to mind. You could make small studs from screws and bond them into a small fiberglass biscuit. Then bond a few to rhe inside of the tail section and you could use expandable foam insulation(fireproof marine grade as a bonding agent for the aluminium panels. You spray the material onto the aliminium sheet, spread the sticky stuff around, then put the panels in place using boards to hold pressure on the panels. Just make sure you don't use to much material and cause expansion problems. Mine use both of the above and have been in place without problem since 1990.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I used a product that I got from Racer Wholesale 1-800-886-RACE or www.racerwholesale.com It is called Aluminized Heat Barrier and works VERY VERY well. You can also get a spray on glue that is heat resistive and ment to be used with it from them.
The aluminized heat shield "is made of the same high temperature fabric as the header wrap with an aluminized backing. Great for sandwiching between fire wall, floorboards,hoods,fenderwells, or anywhere heat is a problem. Heat barrier is 40" wide X 1/16" thick. 1 Yard $29.99, 5 yards $139.99" quoted from Racer Wholesale catalog.

I used about 3 yards to do the entire rear clip. The outer surface of the car above the headers is cool enought to place your hand on for an extended lenght of time when the car is all warmed up and as hot as it will get.
This stuff is lightweight can be cut with sisors and very effective.

I also used it for the barrier pannel between the engine bay and the drivers compartment.The full 5 yards would do most of the car where you would want to reject heat, footwell, sidepods near water pipes, etc.

I just looked in Jegs 1-800-345-4545 www.jegs.com and they have this stuff also, heatshield, 10 square feet $81.99 jegs part# 893-14001 and glue $12.99,12oz can, sticky stuff adhesive # 900-90-4000

I have a TVR Grif 500 with a heatshield that repeatedely detached from the underside of the engine. the final fix a 3M product Scotchgrip 1300L High temp adhesive; available from industrial adhesive suppliers.
An Aluminised Glass Cloth in two weights is available from ARCO in the UK in two weightsEKA401 @ 520 g/sq mt # 3512504 listed @ £9.44 per mt and EKA622 @900 g/sq mt #3512506 @ £17.42 per mt. There are discounts if you are a business using the big range of health and safety products.
Details
ARCO Ltd
p.o.box 21
Waverley St
Hull 01482 611740 www.arco.co.uk
Thyere are over 20 outlets in the UK

What about ceramic stuff?! I got this info from Dave Harris.

"The coolcar ceramic insulation has changed name to LizardSkin
ceramic insulation. www.coolcarllc.com Same phone number (1-877-278-9468)
It's $150.00 for a 2 gallon pail, my 37 needs about two pails, not
cheap!"

What do you guys think?!

Back