Book recommendations ? - building a 302

Gents,

I am looking to further my knowledge of building 302's. I've found there are quite
a number of books available on this subject.

Does anyone have any recommendations or favourites?

In particular I'd be interested in something written more recently.
I have the Tom Monroe book and excellent that it is, I guess there
Are alot of components available today that weren't available when
The book was written.

Thanks in advance.

Regards to all,

Julian West

'Race Engine Preparation', by Waddell Wilson & Steve Smith.
Published by Steve Smith Autosports. Not sure its still available new, but you might be able to find a SH copy.

Most of David Vizards stuff is worth a read.

Neither of those will give you any direct 302w info, but the Wilson / Smith stuff covers 340 Chrysler, 350 Chev, & 351 C more with a Nascar bias.

'Race Engine Preparation', by Waddell Wilson & Steve Smith.

That's an oldie................Talking about using Point type ignition with a 7000 RPM limit.

i would recommand Jac Mac writing a book on SBF´s !!
would probably be focused on short stroke, long rods, decent bore 351´s.
Am i wrong ?

TOM

i would recommand Jac Mac writing a book on SBF´s !!
would probably be focused on short stroke, long rods, decent bore 351´s.
Am i wrong ?

TOM

Sorry guys, not going to happen with all the projects I have. Biggest problem I see is there still being fuel to run them on if I ever do finish any of them- or more to the point will I be allowed to run the fuel I want rather than that dictated by Motorsport in NZ. Perhaps I should can all the cars & just finish the Transaxle instead, or the pla..., or sell off a bit the land area & build a new house , or or or or or.....:lipsrsealed:

OK

Jac no need to write a book, but we would be happy about decent 10 pager about your favorite 302;351w and 351 C configuration with do´s and don´ts and part descriptions and numbers.

TOM

Talking about 10 pages condensed know how, no stupid pagefilling BS.

Should be enough, you need a knowledgable engine shop anyway to do the machining. Assembly next time i do on my own, than i know for shure what´s in and how it was put together.

in the end not to complicated, just need to know what works and what not.
Your engine is the best example for basicly correct parts, just sloppy machined and assembled the first time.

TOM

TOM
You're correct about sloppy assembly. That's why I show and detail ckecking clearances more than once coupled with any needed machining operations such as valve-to-piston clearances, bearing clearance, ring fit and on and on. Got to do that cam-timing check, too. I then show doing a preassembly prior to a final assembly using the correct assembly lubes, torques and the like.

A copy landed on my doormat this morning!!

Looks absolutely fantastic!!, can't wait to have a quiet hour or two & soak up some info.

Gentlemen,thank you all for your help & thanks Speed220mph for writing it!!

Regards to all,

Julian,

I've got several 302 building books, you are welcome to borrow any/all of them if you like. I'll be at the Westpoint show on Sunday if it's of any interest, I can bring them down.

Simon

Back