Buyer beware when buying a used Ford GT.

I had to laugh (and cry) at the captions that read, "Driver wanted to see how fast the car would go."

I'm sure we have all read the info on the GT. Theres no doubt that it will go faster than most can drive it. And they tried it on public roads....

I have been impressed by how stable the car is without traction control. I would have thought the thing would be a nightmare with that much power/torque and no electronic aids. Look at the Carrera GT, which is supposed to be a handful. The new GT is much easier to deal with.

Not that you can't get into all sorts of trouble in a hurry, but you have to turn the noggin off (or not have it sorted right to begin with).

Keith

So how many New Ford GT's are left? Ford GT40, Ford GT
Do they have handling problems or just attract incapable drivers?

Regards

Chris.

A bit like a Ferrari Enzo then. They also seem to have a disproportionate amount of trouble staying in one piece!

Here's one that came to grief near me....it serves as a warning never to mess with buses on narrow country lanes. Carbon fibre ain't that strong...

Attachments

• 11enzo_20041210_003.JPG
    11enzo_20041210_003.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,027
"Car journalist went around a corner on a closed circuit (Equinox Mountain, Vermont) and just kept on going. Smashed over guard post, landed parallel to the mountainside, six inches from a 50 foot drop."

Parts of Mt. Equinox are scary. One stretch of road is a narrow ridge between two peaks, on both sides are sharp drop offs.

If you're in the area, it's worthwhile to go to the vintage hill climb to see the pretty cars.

Gordo

Lifetime Supporter

So how many New Ford GT's are left? Ford GT40, Ford GT

Regards

Chris.

Having put about 7500 miles on a GT - in my opinion it is one of the easiest high performance cars to drive. It's almost as docile as a minivan if you want it to be. Stomp on it and it's an animal. No handling problems at all. I've run about 2,000 hard track miles without so much as a a wiggle. It really is amazing. Crashes probably come from inexperienced drivers - especially going from 1st to 2nd on the power. It can and will get away unless you're paying attention. :eek:

Gordo.

Its got a huge firebreathing V8 in the back, and is a very big car, and its an icon so you will all ways get people with too much money and too little sence buying them and then thinking that they are a driving god, Such a shame the more folk like this that drive like idiots are only a small minority but give everybody a bad name that has a high performance car, mostly from bikes myself and the same applys to them the few idiots ruin it for everybody.

Having driven my own car, and a new GT and passenger in an original on the same runway @ 150mph the thing that struck me was how quiet and smooth the new GT was at speed - maybe with the extra size and comfort you dont get such a sense of speed...my 2 pence worth.

I don't know if it's more money than sense. (I would not judge GT owners that way from this forum.) I think they attract people who like to say, "To Hell with PROFESSIONAL DRIVER ON CLOSED COURSE, DO NOT ATTEMPT."

Keith

As a matter of interest, the cost to repair the damage shown in the previous Enzo pic is alleged to have reached £300,000! :eek:

It looks fairly superficial but this is the amount the owner is suing the Wilts & Dorset Bus company for. The bus company is, not unreasonably, resisting....;)

I agree with Gordo.
The Ford GT is a dream machine.

I have a Ford GT, since Jan 2005, and a Carrera GT.

Have no problems with either car, and they are road rockets.

John Place

Back