C5 Corvette Ball Joint Taper?

Hi,

Can anyone inform me what the taper is on the upper ball joint of a C5 upright?
From what I can see it appears to be the same as that for the steering rod end, which from my measurements is 1.4" per foot which would be an odd size so I don't believe it.
I think it has to be 1.5" per foot. But I'd like that confirmed before I go buy the appropriate ream as they're not cheap from what I've seen to date.

Thanks,

Doug if memory serves me and GM has not changed 7 Degrees for most GM I have the 2 common reamers and can measure both for you if you would like?

Hi Dave,

7 Degrees is 1.468" per foot so that is a definite candidate from my measurements.

So you're saying 7 degrees is the common taper on GM vehicles? I'd assumed that the " per ' measure would have been the way it would have been done, being in the USA.

Thanks,

Doug:

Bigfoot is right the reamers come in those two sizes here in the U.S. In the stock car world it was not uncommon to ream ford spindles to take GM ball joints. Also depending on what you are trying to do. Some of the screw in Chrysler ball joints may work. Try www.colemanracing.com for adjustable ball joints and bumpsteer studs. I could make you a deal on the two reamers I have P.M me.

Erm yeah, I've measured the things to death ;)

Front%20Suspension.jpg

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Because the C5 uprights are the same piece front to back, and their easy access, I want to use them for my project. My question:

Has anybody here used the Dutchmanaxles C5-to-934 (930 CV) spindle conversion? My current challenge is an easy means of connecting the 930 inner CV to a 930 outer CV without a lot of special fabrication. The Factory Five product (GTM) uses a custom axle that is splined for the 930 CV on one side, and the C5 CV splines on the outer CV side, but the Dutchman product appears to be a better solution in my eyes. Any comments or experience with this?

I encountered the same situation,930 trans to GM hub/bearing assembly.I contacted McKenzie's in CA(offroad buggy supplier) and they have the stubaxles to fit the GM spline in the outboard hub,but with a 930 C/V flange.I'm sure this is very similar to the Dutchman piece. They also supply axles in 1in increments done in 300m (the only material they would suggest behind a V8). I'm not sure of the phone #,as I post this without much time to kill during the day,but they have a website.

Hope this helps,
Dave D.

What are you guys planning for lower ball joints? I would think that there would be options other than the $120 each Corvette replacements that would work just as well in fabricated lower control arms.

I used Moog C5 units that were ~US$70 each online at the time. But looking now they've gone to US$127!, WOW!
If I were to do it again I'd look at the screw in units used by the oval track guys as theres parts available for the outer threaded component, being in Australia though it's hard to track down the right one that'll work in the C5 upright.

Ya Doug, that Moog unit is precisely the one I am trying to avoid. I looked at some AFCO low friction ball joints, but they specify vehicles, not specific taper. It looks like there are only two part numbers for GM vehicles, I'll try getting on the phone and see if I can get something figured out.

Erm yeah, I've measured the things to death ;)

Front%20Suspension.jpg

Ancient thread bump I know, but I need a post to send Doug a PM--I just started dimensioning a C6 knuckle in Solidworks for my Volvo 122--would hate to re-model it if Doug would be kind enough to share it!

Back