Camaro brakes

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
Appreciate any experiences people have had in an SLC with the Camaro brakes. After setting them up (bedding pads, adjusting the balance, etc), did you find they performed well with reasonable pedal effort?

Recognizing they're unassisted brakes... did you do anything other than adjust the balance and bed the pads to get them stopping well without needing to stand on them?

Best,
John

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Are you having problems or just asking? It doesn't take much effort to lock the brakes up.

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
Are you having problems or just asking? It doesn't take much effort to lock the brakes up.

Just asking.

I didn't get to drive the car enough to really say I'm having any problems. Adjusting the balance bar improved things, but brakes weren't bedded.

Had heard various things about the earlier systems in the car, and known ways to improve. Are these newer brake setups based on the Chevy calipers and Wilwood masters great right out of the box?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Yes they are John ... If you want more aggressive feel, change the pads but they will have a trade off for everyday use

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Make sure you have all the air out of the system. When filling empty brake lines it takes a while.

I have the Camaro brakes. Had the typical issues getting all the fittings tight and the air out. No issues after that. Yes they are firm, but they do not take so much pedal effort that there is any issue modulating the brakes. I've had the car on track and have hauled it down in a hurry from 150+ a number of times. I am more than happy with them.

John

The car I had before was used for the track had power brakes with aggressive pad and use little brake pressure. When I first drove the SLC it took so much more pressure I thought something was wrong with the brakes. I didn't feel confident that I could stop fast enough if there was a problem.
I did all the normal things cleaned, new fluid, adjust still needed to much pressure so I changed pad to Performance friction 01s. Much less peddle pressure but lots of brake dust.
Hope this helps
Ed

On a previous post someone measure the force needed to full lock and I think it was like doing a 175 lbs leg press. You get good exercise on a track day but you end up with a larger right quad. Its a stiff/firm pedal but gives great feedback. I like the pedal feel even better than my old 911 Turbo. It did take a fair amount of tweaking to get them evened out though.

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
So that's the secret to your superhuman strength!

On a previous post someone measure the force needed to full lock and I think it was like doing a 175 lbs leg press. You get good exercise on a track day but you end up with a larger right quad. Its a stiff/firm pedal but gives great feedback. I like the pedal feel even better than my old 911 Turbo. It did take a fair amount of tweaking to get them evened out though.

Back