CAV - Part VI - Entries #21 & 22

I guess as part of the teething pains with the new forum, the last two entries and pictures from CAV - Getting the Horsepower to the Ground - Part VI cannot be seen unless you are a member and logged in. Guests only see 20 of 22 total posts. This will probably change in the future but for now here are the last two entries.

---------------------------------------------

CAV - Getting the Horsepower to the Ground - Part VI

Two pictures to go and I will be done with Part VI.

Here is everything in final assembly. Ground clearance is 4 inches in front and 4 1/4 inches in back. Note how the new trans bracket is still a few inches higher that the belly pan of the monocoque chassis (and it clears my floor jack).

The black tube that crosses the end of the car is actually part of the rear clip hinge and is not a sway bar as it first appears even though it is mounted with polyurethane bushings. At the first opportunity the radius in the tube will be centered under the muffler and all the black parts may be re-painted silver to match the rest of the new rear suspension components.

Attachments

• CAV-ZF-Mount-20-1_2.JPG
    CAV-ZF-Mount-20-1_2.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 538
CAV - Getting the Horsepower to the Ground - Part VI

I love working on this car. As far as the rear end of the car goes, I am down to the final settings and adjustments. Tomorrow I start a four wheel alignment and set wheel base, camber, caster, and toe-in independently for each wheel relatively to the centerline of the monocoque chassis. With any luck next weekend I will drive around Phoenix from dawn to dusk trolling for Ferraris. I think it is a side effect of the silver paint.

Fuel cells and front end are next.

Attachments

• CAV-ZF-Mount-22-1_4.JPG
    CAV-ZF-Mount-22-1_4.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 542
Bob, very nice work. You've inspired me to take a welding course at our county vocational school.
May I ask what holds the vent plates to the body? Nice and clean without screws...

Hi Ray,

You sure scoped out a pretty subtle detail. Yep, you are right. I had press in studs installed in the oval vent plates. The indents from the studs were filled in and the plate painted to match the stripes. The plates actually mounted so that they float on o-rings on the studs, between the plates and the body. The plates by the way were made by Mike Coates in Canada who did a great job. They have a rolled edge that I think has a more finished look.

I also noted that you asked for spring and shock measurements in another post. I will make those from measurements from on my car and post that information in the original thread on Tuesday.

Bob

Attachments

• CAV-Screw-Less-Oval-Vents.JPG
    CAV-Screw-Less-Oval-Vents.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 473
Back