Chassis drawings book in the works...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very interesting... Of course we here at GT40s.com would love to see these drawings..

Their books tend to be 'pricey'. I'd hate to pay that and not be able to read dimensions or have enough to build from. Who wants to go first and report back ?

Their books tend to be 'pricey'. I'd hate to pay that and not be able to read dimensions or have enough to build from. Who wants to go first and report back ?
I don't think you should expect enough drawings to be able to build a mono.
There are approx 360 parts and if i remember correct 600 drawings.
Also worth to mention is that all these detail drawings shows the parts finished, they dont tell you how to fabricate them or give
you the cut dimension for the sheet metal. So you really need to be good at both reading drawings and calculating the flat patterns.

Not to be negative (i might be wrong) but i would be amazed if there are especially many "new" drawings in this publication in addition to those 170 which is floating around. However we might get a better view of how these drawings where made (for those unfamiliar with the process) and the people who made them. And indeed as they say in the youtube vid, some of these drawings are pure artwork (with a bit of grease and coffeespill to them).

Dave Collins

Supporter
Porter Press provide a 20% discount on all standard edition books to GT40 Enthusiasts Club Members when ordered through there website. Hopefully this will be useful when the Drawings and Ultimate GT40 (Also mentioned in video) books come out. Members can get details of this discount in December 2021 issue of Fortyfication or via the member benefits section of the club forum.

I contacted the publisher direct. The book is to be released in late March. They will not answer the question as to whether the dimensions will be legible, or whether there will even be dimensions. And I'm well aware that many, many drawings would be missing. I thought this might be an opportunity to move the ball down court with the few that are in the public domain. I reiterate -- who wants to go first ?

Also, having built parts before, and having looked at all of the drawings below in detail, there's nothing there that an experienced metal beater can't handle. Most of the parts are very simple. I didn't see any "hard" ones that require more than a hammer form. And with a single copy, using hand formed parts, you don't need "cut dimensions".

Just my 2 cents.

Update from Porter Press - GT40 Uncovered – going to the printers in the next seven days. A limited edition, very different and enormous book.
Also mentions a 4 volume set - Ultimate GT40 – we are aiming to have Volume 1 (of 4) out later this year.

9C9208FF-6189-4C80-99A5-BBFAEC851C61.jpeg

Register for Interest email is out.
Looks to be around the 176 pages and as above limited to 365 copies for now.
They have an 8 page spread on their web site and would appear that there will be 22 pages on the Mk1 chassis.

Clayton

FFC4916A-F2C0-4A6B-A19F-3B9F990C521D.png

Register for Interest email is out.
Looks to be around the 176 pages and as above limited to 365 copies for now.
They have an 8 page spread on their web site and would appear that there will be 22 pages on the Mk1 chassis.

Clayton

View attachment 122322

To be honest, looking at the contents page, I'm a bit annoyed with what they are putting in it. I don't think 22 pages will do the chassis justice and I am hoping that it is not made up of drawings that are already in the public domain.

Hi all,

If you're expecting to be able to build a GT40 from the contents of this book then you will be disappointed. It does cover the chassis but also covers the MkIV chassis and many components including engines and gearboxes. It is a beautiful book but it's not a workshop manual. It will be, I think, a collectors item.

Regards,

Graham.

Agree, apparently its going to be 420mm square (16.5" x 16.5") hard back, cloth covered.
Should be a special book.

Hopefully it has some of the more complex assembly drawings in it, as they are fascinating to sit and study.
I would love to have some of the old drawings printed on Vellum or Mylar with the blue ink transfer via ultraviolet light and then have them framed and on display in the workshop. That would be fantastic.

Agree, apparently its going to be 420mm square (16.5" x 16.5") hard back, cloth covered.
Should be a special book.

Hopefully it has some of the more complex assembly drawings in it, as they are fascinating to sit and study.
I would love to have some of the old drawings printed on Vellum or Mylar with the blue ink transfer via ultraviolet light and then have them framed and on display in the workshop. That would be fantastic.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to say which drawings are in there.

Regards,

Graham.

haha, you tease, don't you dare ruin the surprise
:)

I have got enough going on to keep me busy for a little while.

Cheers Ryan

Back