Chassis

Andrew,

"I can supply most other parts to finish this GT40 through my company, Safir Engineering Ltd of Surrey"

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, this line is absolutely intended to imply some sort of relation to "the Safir".

You're a lawyer, eh?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Does the ad say anything that isn't true?

I didn't check the phone number for accuracy, but everything else looks right. I particularly like the picture of the shock mount: looks exactly like the one on my SPF.

BTW I've got a GT40 rear cross member and other parts I'm selling from my company Safir Engineering Ltd of San Francisco.

Last edited:

Keith

You're a funny man Alan. :)

I begin to see that the beef is with Safir name, which could, I suppose equally be an attempt at an innocent "connection" with a market or, as legal person would put it - "passing off" a quaint English Law term for inferring something that in some way is designed to mislead (I won't say deceive) or claim as one's own, something that isn't.

But, should you register such a company in San Francisco, would it be Safir Engineering LLC or Inc?? Nothing to stop you though is there? I suppose if people make up their minds it is a strategy of deception there's not much can be done, but it may have been more innocent (however misguided) than that. Oh well.

Perhaps it should have been named Safir Engineering (2012) Ltd? I know not.

Well, here is something interesting. In a rare Wiki foray, I have discovered that the word "Safir" is Persian for "Ambassador" (now that's kind of ironic), and was the name famously given to Iran's first space vehicle designed to put an Ormid satellite in to orbit not so long ago.

PS Well, that's even more interesting! Isn't this what you actually wrote before deleting the last bit?

"I didn't check the phone number for accuracy, but everything else looks right. I particularly like the picture of the shock mount: looks _exactly_ like the one on my SPF (i.e. all ready for fatigue failure)." (my underline)

I remember that - wasn't that resolved?

It all boils down to trademark law.

If the Safir folks (who have been around for a long time) have a trademark in the US then somebody starting and running an automotive business with the word "Safir" anywhere in the name is going to get themselves in trouble.

It doesn't appear as if there's a TM on "Safir" in the US in the category for automotive services or goods. There is a TM for firearms, alcohol/breath testing equipment, and rice categories (you can check for yourself at the uspto.gov site). So, if Alan was to start a Safir company in the US he would probably be OK from a legal standpoint, though people might be a bit miffed to find out he has nothing to do with the Safir folks who, of course, hold the TM upon GT40.

Incidentally, 52,000 GBP seems like a load of dough for an incomplete car when you can get an SPF with an accurate chassis in complete form (used) for about that price....good luck with that sale!

Keith

Interesting answer.

But I had no doubt mate - you are the Fiscal Cliff OB keeps going on about, yes? :laugh:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
"I didn't check the phone number for accuracy, but everything else looks right. I particularly like the picture of the shock mount: looks _exactly_ like the one on my SPF (i.e. all ready for fatigue failure)." (my underline)

Man you are paying attention! I took that out because I remembered that it's really not a problem if you use the historically accurate Mk I bar mounted on top, and so didn't want to be guilty of unfair criticism of the frame itself.

But Cliff makes the far more interesting point... if what is being offered is in fact a prototype Superformance frame, why not just spend a few more dollars and buy a whole Superformance GT40, saving yourself all the effort and money sourcing the other parts? If some are not quite "correct" just replace those? Hmmm... does this one have the center tunnel offset to make way for fat American drivers? BTW there is a new SPF roller for sale near me or $75,000 = 46,832.56 GBP. Furthermore my experience is that SPF parts prices for my GT40 are quite reasonable. So if one simply wanted a new SPF frame, I wonder what SPF would charge.

IAE I think we should all go out and register a corporation or limited partnership or .. OK whatever, an entity, called"Safir Engineering of <my town>" as a show of solidarity. Solidarity with whom? I don't now, but it sounds good, doesn't it? Let a thousand Safirs bloom! Or you know, like in Spartacus, we all claim to be Safir.

BTW I was thinking of forming Lola Cars International, Ltd of San Francisco but I'm not sure the one in Huntingdon is dead yet. Might be consider a bit crass, I suppose, and we don't want to do anything crass, do we?

Last edited:

Keith

"Show solidarity" - I like that. Right, I'll get a website up first thing Monday morning..... :laugh:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hmmm... does this one have the center tunnel offset to make way for fat American drivers?

Alan,

ALL GT40s have the tunnel offset. RHD cars are offset to the left to allow space for the RH sill shifter. The left hand drive cars are offset to the right which allows the drivers seat to be wider for us "plus-sized" Muricans.

I do not know that the tub offered is of Superformance/Hi Tech origin or not. I do know one of the aforementioned pre-production tubs is in the US and in fact was in my shop for a while. It was imported for use as a display and has a roof that is not to standards and so was not fully built up. Now if you wanted to build a roadster using an original FAV roadster windscreen wouldn't this be a good start as you are gonna cut the roof off anyhow? OOPS....was I supposed to say that?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
ALL GT40s have the tunnel offset. RHD cars are offset to the left to allow space for the RH sill shifter. The left hand drive cars are offset to the right which allows the drivers seat to be wider for us "plus-sized" Muricans.

Oh. Then what are the changes SPF made to accomodate large(r) drivers?

Back