Clutch - Audi 01E to Ford 302

I've not posted for a while but I'm on the home run with my RCR Mk1 build. I've fitted the clutch and on full throw it binds the engine. At the moment I've just got a block and crank assembly mated to the 01E gearbox and it's almost impossible to turn the engine over when the clutch pedal is depressed full throw and the clutch starts to disengage. It might be just the thrust on the crank but I'm nervous! I've tried a couple of different length slave cylinder push rods but same result.

The spec is:
Gearbox: Audi 01E 6 speed
Engine: Ford 302
Adaptor plate: RCR (15.8mm thick)
Flywheel: Kennedy
Spigot bearing housing: Custom made to suit
Spigot bearing: Audi
Clutch pressure plate: Kennedy
Clutch friction plate: Helix
Clutch slave cylinder: Audi (4AO 721 261)
Standard slave cylinder pushrod length: 84mm (insufficient length)
Custom built rod: 108mm (also tried 118mm, 105mm and 96mm)

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

best regards

Roger Allen

Roger,
What slave are you running? The one that RF use is p/n 8EO 721 257 M, which is an Audi part, it costs circa £64. They also turned up some adaptors that go to -3 hose, I have a spare at home, I think. I have installed it on my 01X.

Like you I am running a Kennedy pressure plate with a Helix plate that I got Terry to make. The only difference is that I run the Kennedy adaptor plate.

Brett

Oh, where you based? Just realised you are in Essex!

I'm right next to Lakeside at C100, I work at Ford at the dev centre on the A127.

Brett

Hi Brett,

I've used the standard Audi slave for the 01E - part number in the spec above.

Although I worked for Ford for many years, I now work for Mountune Racing in Hutton and live in Blackmore End near Wethersfield north of Braintree. I was in the Development Centre at Dunton the other week with the BTCC Focus - we do the engines.

I'm beginning to think I'm worrying unnecessarily about this and it's just the drag on the crank thrust. On some engines I've seen idle revs dropping a few hundred rpm if you dip the clutch. Just never done it before and it's me being cautious and anxious to get it right seeing as the parts have come from numerous sources. Did you put a longer push rod in??

best regards

Roger

Back