Clutch fluid boiling

Hi Guys,

Since getting my car on the road I have not done a large mileage. The next day I always have difficulty in engaging gears, on inspection it would appear that the exhaust pipes are too close to the slave cylinder and I am boiling the clutch fluid. Now I can wrap the pipes in a Lava infused tape, or try and find a very efficient insulation that will deflect great amounts of heat away. The other suggestion was to lose the hydraulics, and go for a cable, this would eliminate the problem, but comes with it's own design difficulties. Any ideas gratefully accepted. I have attached a picture showing the slave cylinder and pipes.

Thanks,

Don.

Attachments

• 2022-07-15 08.54.02.jpg
    2022-07-15 08.54.02.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 185
Could you mecanically extend with a long tie rod the slave cylinder position to avoid this weird and hot position
Years ago we had on Lola 2 seaters cars avery long ( say 20 inches !!) long rod pusching from the girling slave cylinder positionned very far from
the fork to avoid any hot radiations and also driveshaft and others unwanted devices
This allow also much more set up possible ( with nuts onto the rod )and possibly doing a good thermic shield around the cylinder

It’s a Mustang 4.6 litre with a Renault UN1 box, all on a Southern GT Chassis. The main problem is there is very little room between the slave cylinder and the pipes.

I have the same set up as you in my build. I have fettled a piece of aluminium to sit under the exhaust and above the slave cylinder and then covered it in Zircoflex. It's expensive stuff but is supposed to be very good at reducing heat transfer. I have not run the car up yet so can't tell you whether it will work or not but it has to be an improvement! My exhausts are also ceramic coated which should help a bit.

Thanks for the reply’s, I will look into heat shields, also told the main item I need is Racing clutch fluid, this has a boiling point of 360 degrees as opposed to 210 with normal Dot4 fluid.

Neil

Supporter
Changing to a higher boiling point fluid is not solving the basic problem. A proper heat shield will greatly reduce the effect of radiant heat. You don't really need to gold plate the shield but gold does increase the heat reflectivity in the infrared wavelength.

Racing fluid just arrived and Zircoflex in transit, will let you know in a couple of days.

Thanks for the help.

Back