Come on Dean Lampe....picture and story time

Sweet, I like a good story ..... :computer: ...... When does 'story time' begin? where is my popcorn.....

When my time comes...I think it'll take at least a few days of sitting on a bucket in the corner of my shop just staring and drooling at the car before I'd be ready to write my story...

But, that being said...I'm with Mesa! Bring on the popcorn :burnout:

I think story time began when he left home in freezing rain on Friday.............

Let's hope the trip home has a 'happy ending' (No Alex! - not THAT kind of happy ending).
Roberto made it home with his in a driving snow storm, lets keep our fingers crossed for Dean.

Alright, alright, Here it is. Fran and I have been working on this for a long time now. As many of you know I've been a client and friend of Fran's since the early days. In the past I have owned the chassis number 1 and chassis number 33 GT40. The 40 was the fastest car I had ever driven. It had no expense spared and was a great track/street, well, track car. It was a faithful representation of a modern race car skinned in a vintage body.

As many of you know, to keep a vintage look, you give up some performance features that just wouldn't look right in a vintage replica. I had a chance to drive what was the SLC test mule at Run and Gun in 2007 and then again in 2008. (It was more of a boat that year with all the rain!) That car was insane! I was able to run within 2 seconds of my best GT40 times with cold tires on a warm up lap! The GT40 won the pro class overall with those times! Anyway, it was an amazing day in the SLC.

So, the goal was to build a race car, yes, race car for the weekend warriors budget. This is not a street legal car but it could be if you wanted to add the weight. This will be a LS3 480hp crate engine with the new 2010 Porsche twin turbo six speed gear box, sparse race car interior and all of the race car upgrades needed to go fast. Not the extra stuff, just what you need. This car has the upgraded wheels, same as Fran's race car. It has all the splitters and rear wing with the new street tail cut just like green car. I will be running stock brakes because I really believe that's all that's needed. It will have the Digidash data logger with GPS.

I am going to call this one version 2.0 because it is the next step for me with Fran's company. The car number will be "v2.0"

Here it is!

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

Congratulations!!!!! I love the paint!!!!

Edit: Is the rear window in? Or is the fiberglass painted? That is exactly the way I'd do the rear window if I got an SLC.

LOVE your car!!! I can't wait to read your build.

Last edited:
Hi Dean

congratulations to your new car

Looks awsome. Great color choice. Also a perfect choice on Engine and gearbox ( i have the very same one for the german SLC already prepared).

Enjoy it

TOM

Thanks guys. It's pretty exciting. My first track day is in mid April so I plan on building this car in February and March. I think it will be much easier than the gt40.

Justin, the rear clip has a satin black vinyl stick for a window over the uncut molded fiberglass window area.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Argggggggggggg..........we wants to see er Necid!!!!!!!!matie!!!!!!!!!!!!youel be takin the nickers off er fer ye mates ea???????? right soon we be expectin....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wow Dean!

I knew something was up but that is gonna be one awesome ride! :thumbsup:

I really like the look of that street tail, it is going to be one nice looking car. I love the way your GT40 came out and therefore am really excited to see your modifications to this car.

Kevin

I really like the street tall too. The wing will be a nice addition to the race car look as well.

I really think this is going to be an easy build. I am not planning to do a lot of modification. I am going to build it as it came from Fran with his bits and pieces that you would expect to see on a race car.

I am up in the air about wether or not to use the SLC dash or just go without a dash all together. What do you guys think?

Deane,

First, very nice. Second, I have gone back and forth on using the dash as well and for now, I'll go without. It would serve no purpose for a 100% track car.

Back