Competition for RCR, FFR, etc?

Well the checker-plate bodied Mini-Moke lookalike would make a hell of a city runabout. People would be afraid to nudge park it for fear of damage to their vehicles.

The closest thing I could think that would compete with RCR besides the ones that everyone knows is maybe Radical and their RXC. Stats are pretty impressive, but I have to coin the voice it has a "face for radio". It's not exactly pretty. It makes the Gumpurt Apollo look like a model.

Howard Jones

Supporter
So the ebay advert say it ran a 1.44.9 at VIR on the long course. How does that compare to any known SLC times? The green SLC #1 Fran runs for Ryan was on the pole for the 12 hour there wasn't it, or am I old and confused.

This car (Riley) would be a pretty interesting boggy for comparison purposes with other self built type cars like SLC etc.

The one thing I am pretty sure of is, it's not worth twice the price at half the pretty when compaired to a SLC.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
We have not run the SLC at VIR in sprint trim only Endurance spec. (small low hp engine)

My expectation is that we would be a couple of seconds a lap slower ...no flatshift sequential trans in the SLC and the SLC is a little heavier too.

Mark Goosens did the fast laps in the Riley when we were there with our Nemesis a few years ago.

Keep in mind that the ebay listing is a used price too...not new...check out the new price for a high spec Riley...$300k plus...

Blech, the original DP's are fugly! The greenhouse looks like a submarine conning tower.

The SLC is purty!

What a great idea for someone like the college student or low income families. They would have transportation they could afford which would help avoid the Caddy in the driveway of a shack. It will be interesting to see what happens to it here in the States. Richard

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Keep in mind that the ebay listing is a used price too...not new...check out the new price for a high spec Riley...$300k plus...

IMHO when a 2-seater like this reaches the $300K mark, it should reflect that in the 'looks' dept. IMHO the Riley doesn't. Buuuuuuuut, 'different strokes', and all that...what do I know. A car's "looks" 'be' a subjective thing.

But regardless, if the times stated above are accurate, there's no question the thing performs at a 'legit' $300K level!

Anyway, as to the OP's subject putt-putt above, it's in a niche market all its own 'near as I can tell...a very small niche mkt. One could buy a decent used car with a roof, windows, room for 4, and the whole 9 yards for the same money. 'Mebbe' I'm just being too critical - or I don't 'get' the concept!

Last edited:
Blech, the original DP's are fugly! The greenhouse looks like a submarine conning tower.

The SLC is purty!

Yeah, well part of that was down to regulated dimensions forcing the designers hand. They all tended to look slab-sided. Show me an SLC, Lola T70, Porsche 917.......dem's curvy.

I grew up in the GTP era, so the DP mk1 was just hideous.

The new versions, not so bad. Be interesting to see how they do in '14 with P2 cars in there.

Back