Custom 01E Gear Ratios

Hi All,

As we all know the 01E is becoming a more popular gearbox but people are put off it because of the angle of the driveshafts (I’ve seen no one report shaft or CV failures because of this) but I think more the terrible gearing for the GT40.

Would more people be interested if better gear options were available?

I’ve messaged a couple of UK gear engineering companies to see what options are available cost wise.

I have found a company already in Australia who do a 1-4 set with optional 5/6. Ratios customisable for whatever you like and it’s about £3200 odd for the 1-4 and input shaft.

SQS do it even cheaper and offer custom ratios but only 3-6, they keep 1-2 the same (as they’re part of the input shaft.)

Bearing in mind you can get a used 01E for £150 upwards, rebuild kit for bearings and synchros is cheap also.
With LSD you could have a custom basically new gearbox for £4500-£5000. Considering there are some companies online offering ‘GT40 Audi 01e gearboxes’ for £2000-£3000 stock rebuilt plus £1000-1300 if you want an LSD it doesn’t seem terrible to me.

I’ll update with more info when I hear back from the companies but if there’s minimum orders or better deals available for group buys would there be people out there interested?

Chris

Last edited:
Back