Dan Gurney engine

I was just offered a NOS in the boxes a Dan Gurney engine, complete less cam and water pump, boss 302 block, any idea what its worth? Thank Wayne

RWJ, I just bought a 1965 289 engine complete from carb. to oil pan for $250.00 and the guy delivered it. How do you know it's a real Gurney engine? If it has the Gurney Westlake heads, I guess that would make it worth more than just a regular 289. I would try to find out what the cost would be to have it rebuilt first before I bought it. It cost me $3500.00 for a mild rebuild on a 289 eng. I put in my Cobra Daytona Coupe replica three years ago. Last week I saw a warehouse full of Gurney engine parts.... just amazing!!!!

You were at Jay Cushmans place, who I know. This is the 2 valve heads Windsor setup, NOS boss 302 block. I build 427 SOHC engines so I'm familar with rebuilds. I was offered it by a friend and I don't boubt what he tells me, its the real deal, Wayne

I would guess the NOS block would have substantial
value to the Mustang concours resto crowd.
But if it can be definitely proven to be a "Gurney"
engine, I would think Johan would be interested for
his Gurney Lola restoration.

MikeD

I sure would(thanks for thinking of me Mike..).I have a similar engine going together now. There is a lot more to a Gurney engine than a set of heads on a block. If I could get a complete one I would probably end up ahead, but I am so far already on the one I have started.

I'm waiting for more info and maybe some pics. When I get the info I will post it, Wayne

rwj, i have a set of mkiv gurney eagle heads, vintage 1968. originally worked over by joe mondello. last year i had them COMPLETELY redone by a nascar head and induction guy. new titanium valves, i and e, titanium retaners, best springs, new guides, seals; the works. it costs a fortune to do this work, in addition to having to obtain the gurney heads to begin with. in addition i have a gurney eagle block, 1968 vintage. it has indy dohc maincaps, set up for the internal dry sump pumps that the total gurney engines used. i also have the cam gear drive, magnesium front cover, oil pump housings, magnesium valley cover/waterlog, etc. these items were one offs in 1968. they are practically extinct today. i doubt if ther are enough parts to put together 4 or 5 complete gurney engines, period. anyway, because of back surgery i have had to abandon my '40 project. i'm in the process of trading these parts for sets of yates heads and related gear unless someone gets out the checkbook. i can be contacted at [email protected], or at 518-339-4655. if anyone is serious and thinks they may have interest in the heads and related pieces or the whole nine, they can call me.

best regards to all.

roger davidson

Back