David's LMP Build Log

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate location for this thread. It is not an SLC, but it is certainly not a GT40. There is no "LMP Clubhouse." Hopefully there will be soon.
I am building an RCR-LMP car and would like to have an avenue to share information with others who are doing the same, or who are contemplating doing so.
I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the rolling chassis, which is in production. There have been developmental delay issues, as expected for a car of this caliber.
The engine I selected, with the assistance of others from this forum/network, is the Chevrolet High Performance LS376/525 crate motor. It comes with a two year, 50,000 mile warranty. I would suspect that the modifications I have made to the engine have invalidated the warranty. At least the warranty indicates that GM has some confidence in what they are selling.
Perhaps others who are building the incredible RCR-LMP will also post build logs on the forum.

Welcome to the group! I think you will enjoy the LMP- it is a very fast car indeed, and at the last race where 3 different pro drivers got to drive it, their praise was unanimous- they all thought it was fast, easy to drive, and could be put anywhere.

I think one driver said it was "like the space shuttle being driven by Jesus". :)

Please post your build log- I'm sure we'd all enjoy it!

IN for this build log!

Those of us that have to wait a couple more years live vicariously through you guys that have these wonderful cars. So for us little guys, pics are greatly appreciated. What color combo have you chosen?

Thanks, and I can't wait to see your build!

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Attached is a photo of the engine as it was received. It is available from GM Performance through various distributors on the internet. I ordered mine from Jegs. Great price and free shipping. Ordered it on their website and it showed up in my garage. In addition, the electronic engine management system is supposedly a plug-and-play unit. It has the drive-by-wire accelerator , so will have to be modified for the Tilton pedals.
I call this the "Pre-op Photo" because this is as it appeared prior to various surgical procedures.

Attachments

• Pre-op Image.jpg
    Pre-op Image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 350
Attached is a photo of the engine as it was received. It is available from GM Performance through various distributors on the internet. I ordered mine from Jegs. Great price and free shipping. Ordered it on their website and it showed up in my garage. In addition, the electronic engine management system is supposedly a plug-and-play unit. It has the drive-by-wire accelerator , so will have to be modified for the Tilton pedals.
I call this the "Pre-op Photo" because this is as it appeared prior to various surgical procedures.

The Tilton pedals support your choice of either the traditional cable approach or the DBW (which is what most of us running these engines use) with a custom bracket supplied by Superlite.

Are you going to dry-sump the engine? The LMP can pull lateral g loads that will likely uncover the pickup in the sump in a hurry. Or is that what the "surgical procedures" are? :)

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Yes I installed a dry sump. Here is a Post-op view of the engine. Some of the surgery was purely cosmetic, but others were reconstructive. The dry sump came from Dailey Engineering. Bill Dailey was a great help, providing me with exactly what I needed and the advice to install it. The pan is CNC-machined billet. A true work of art. There are NO scavenger lines. The pump pulls the oil right out of the pan, eliminating the external lines from the pan to the pump. I also installed an ATI Super Damper.
The LS7 headers are ceramic coated, which significantly decreases the heat around the engine. They were done by a guy here in Oregon. He does a great job, inside and out, and has several colors available. The black is the most insulating and durable. I am thinking about coating my stainless steel Ultima GTR exhaust, as the heat under the rear canopy is intense. The silver ceramachrome looks great but not as insulating. I had him put it on the headers and exhaust on my street-legal Lola Indy Car and it looks striking, like polished aluminum. He also has a titanium and even a white. I had him do the white on my Cobra Daytona Coupe exhaust and it looks awesome. Much more insulating and durable than the old VHT paint.
Other things I did to the engine involved reversing the intake with the parts from Katech Performance. Much of the hardware was replaced with ARP or other stainless bolts (its a personal thing). The heater fittings were also removed, tapped, and plugged. Who needs a heater in a race car?
The Corvette transaxle and rear end were built by Rockland Standard Gear in New York. Everything is waiting for the day the BIG truck arrives.

Attachments

• IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 412

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Just a couple photos of the inside of the Dailey Dry Sump pan and of the pump. Like I said before, a true work of art. So much so that I had it hanging on of wall of my garage before I installed it, between the Monterey posters of the 917 and the Mark IV. I need to buy another one for my next project as soon as possible, to give it more "Wall Time"!

Attachments

• IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 335

Howard Jones

Supporter
What would it cost to duplicate your engine as in the dry sump version. Man I'm gonna REALLY wish I waited a couple of more years and did a LMP. I can't wait to watch this thing come together.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Cost of Engine:
LS376/525- Jegs, $7,460.
Bill Dailey Dry Sump System, crank pulley, & ATI Damper: $3,352.
LS7 Headers, ebay, slightly used, $125.
Ceramic coating on headers: $265.
Katech reverse intake valley cover & oil pressure sender mount: $390.
ARP hardware (metric), crank bolt, gaskets- approx $300.

In addition, the engine management controller: $1,179.
Will also need starter, alternator, intake, AN plumbing, etc.

Hope this helps,
David

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
That's similar power to the shop car in endurance trim..it will be one fast car..

Howard we all have "just one more project " in us....:thumbsup:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Just a tick over $13K. Pretty damn cheap for one hell of a motor, when you guys are talking 20-30K, if you ask me.

Fran, I can afford the car, just not another wife.................

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Where we at on this? The LMP guys are waiting dont be a tease! :stunned: :shy:

Thanks for your interest. I'm not holding out on you, I'm waiting too!

I knew when I pulled the trigger on this project that there would be delays. At that time, only one chassis had been built, and it had never even been out of the RCR garage. Further development was expected, has taken some time, but will be well worth it.
I have shifted and transported some cars around, so right now, I have a 20 X 30' heated garage that contains only an engine and a transaxle.......waiting.

Fran contacted me earlier this week and informed me that things were moving rapidly and the chassis will be ready to ship soon. I am hoping there will be others building this car concurrently, to share information with each other and with this forum, and perhaps some special consideration and assistance from Fran and his crew.

The color of my LMP is orange with black, like the prototype. My new business venture is "Tiger's Eye Racing, LLC" so the orange and black will fit well with the graphics. I am planning on initially using the Forgestar F14 wheels, with matte black finish: Forgestar Wheels Custom Rotary Forged Flow Formed Concave Performance Wheels - Forgestar F14

I will keep you all posted. Let's all have some fun and learn something with this!

David

This is going to be great to follow! :)

Dr. Dave, you wrote: "The color of my LMP is orange with black . . . initially using the Forgestar F14 wheels, with matte black finish"

colorchartfstar.jpg

C'mon, Doc: do the Hot Pink! Do the Hot Pink! :)

Les :)

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Pink?......Sure!.......If I could envision the pink wheels as a method to increase the awareness and financial support directed to Breast Cancer prevention, research and treatment, I assure you that I would do it in a heartbeat!...........(and we can all imagine some great graphics to go on the car with that concept)!

Something to think about.

Back