Decisions Help when ordering SLC

Decisions on options when ordering. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Yup, my first post here and I really like how everyone seems willing to help and get along. I am working on ordering the SLC kit and have a few questions on options. <o:p></o:p>
I plan on driving the car on a street 95% of the time and a track day maybe once a year. I have a dedicated track/race car already <o:p></o:p>
1- Lift kit for the front. How do you feel about this? Needed on a street car or no? I am thinking I might need to use it like once a year if that, but also thinking that if I am stuck somewhere I would want it then and would be kicking myself if I did not order it. Thoughts on this? <o:p></o:p>
2- Handbrake assembly. I have a handbrake sitting here from an MR2 with a cable already. I am thinking I could adapt this somehow and just get a single caliper on one or both rear wheels if needed. To do inspection in my state I need to have it. Do you get it and are you glad you did? Any pics of what it looks like? Any options people have come up with on this? <o:p></o:p>
3- Carbon interior panel kit. I like the look of carbon and I want to finish up the interior. So for a little more than the fiberglass then I do not have to finish it so that can save me time and money, or no? Does anyone have it and have pics? I was thinking of doing the rest of the interior in Alcantara as I like the look or maybe some good leather. We will see on this. <o:p></o:p>
4- Factory body fitment. Now this is the one I am really debating here. I talked to Fran and he said it takes them about 30 hours to get it all done. Now he said I could do it and just take my time, but it does make me wonder. If they know what they are doing and it takes 30 hours then it might take me 60 hours since first time doing it. Would this be a worth it option when ordering? I am also thinking if it takes more than 30 hours to finish I might just have them do it since that can be time I am spending on other things. I want to get the kit and get her going when I can as time is limited with life, family and a 1.5 year old. <o:p></o:p>
5- Fender vents? Do the top of the front fenders come vented in all kits or is everyone getting this option? Just confused on what it comes with and does not as I think all the pics I see have the front fenders vented on the top. <o:p></o:p>
6- Seats. I have seen a few threads on seats. I want and need comfortable seats. So I can pad the stock ones as best I can and try that at first and get different ones later if something is figured out that is really good. <o:p></o:p>
Thanks for the help and I am super excited to be starting this here in the future. My SLC will be white with a Toyota V6 mated to a G50 trans for now. I will do the engine in 4 stages as I feel the need for more. First I will put a Toyota V6 NA with about 200-220rwhp. Stage two is a twin turbo for about 350rwhp at 7-8psi without opening up the engine. Stage three is lower comp pistons and 15-18psi with about 450rwhp. Stage 4 I might upgrade to a LS3480hp with 997TT trans when I have the funds and if I feel the need. Using the V6 lets me stay in budget and be able to get the car. I also used to have a super high HP car and it was fun, but a lower hp car is actually more fun for me on track and street now as I can drive the entire car to the limit that I feel comfortable with and really enjoy it. <o:p></o:p>
Thanks for all the help<o:p></o:p>
Troy<o:p></o:p>

My opinions, FWIW, as I've yet to order (for reasons unrelated to the product, which I really like) :(

(All prices from superlitecars.com, but not confirmed)

Troymx576 said:
I plan on driving the car on a street 95% of the time and a track day maybe once a year. I have a dedicated track/race car already
Troymx576 said:
I want to get the kit and get her going when I can as time is limited with life, family and a 1.5 year old
These two statements are key to me. They would point me to paying to have anything I'm not wanting to do done and choosing the simplest approach, e.g. factory options rather than doing something differently.

Troymx576 said:
1- Lift kit for the front. How do you feel about this? Needed on a street car or no? I am thinking I might need to use it like once a year if that, but also thinking that if I am stuck somewhere I would want it then and would be kicking myself if I did not order it. Thoughts on this?
If in your state (where I am, I would need it quite often) you really would only use it once a year, then I'd spend the money on the engine now and consider adding a lift kit later, if you feel the need.

Troymx576 said:
2- Handbrake assembly. I have a handbrake sitting here from an MR2 with a cable already. I am thinking I could adapt this somehow and just get a single caliper on one or both rear wheels if needed. To do inspection in my state I need to have it. Do you get it and are you glad you did? Any pics of what it looks like? Any options people have come up with on this?
A street car needs a proper handbrake system IMO. The factory system is $995 (here), which sounds like good value to me. You may be able to save a little, but it adds risk and time to the build.

Troymx576 said:
3- Carbon interior panel kit. I like the look of carbon and I want to finish up the interior. So for a little more than the fiberglass then I do not have to finish it so that can save me time and money, or no? Does anyone have it and have pics? I was thinking of doing the rest of the interior in Alcantara as I like the look or maybe some good leather. We will see on this.
This is purely personal taste, so really up to you. I'd be tempted to have a bare interior and drive the car sooner if time / budget is limited.

Troymx576 said:
4- Factory body fitment. Now this is the one I am really debating here. I talked to Fran and he said it takes them about 30 hours to get it all done. Now he said I could do it and just take my time, but it does make me wonder. If they know what they are doing and it takes 30 hours then it might take me 60 hours since first time doing it. Would this be a worth it option when ordering? I am also thinking if it takes more than 30 hours to finish I might just have them do it since that can be time I am spending on other things.
Looks like this is $1590 (I'd also pay for the body prep at $590). That's exceptional value for 30 hours of skilled work. If it saved me 60 hours, and got me on the road that much sooner, I'd pay. I'm not good at attention to detail when I only really care about how a car drives, so I know that it'd look much better if I didn't do it :)

Troymx576 said:
5- Fender vents? Do the top of the front fenders come vented in all kits or is everyone getting this option? Just confused on what it comes with and does not as I think all the pics I see have the front fenders vented on the top.
The website lists them as an option ($399 FG, $499 CF). I suspect that it's personal taste again, as I doubt that you'll see a functional difference on the road.

Troymx576 said:
Toyota V6 mated to a G50 trans for now. I will do the engine in 4 stages as I feel the need for more. First I will put a Toyota V6 NA with about 200-220rwhp. Stage two is a twin turbo for about 350rwhp at 7-8psi without opening up the engine. Stage three is lower comp pistons and 15-18psi with about 450rwhp. Stage 4 I might upgrade to a LS3480hp with 997TT trans when I have the funds and if I feel the need. Using the V6 lets me stay in budget and be able to get the car. I also used to have a super high HP car and it was fun, but a lower hp car is actually more fun for me on track and street now as I can drive the entire car to the limit that I feel comfortable with and really enjoy it.
I don't know the costs for each of your stages (stage 3 *sounds* more expensive than an LS3), but the LS3/480 is very good value IMO. However, if you're limited on time, then I'd plan to do the engine and transaxle once with the most common combination.

Good luck with your order and build - I hope it happens faster than mine ..

Last edited:
I am thinking the time issue should be the most addressed also so the body mount option would be good. The Cut out I might order also. I llike building the car, but getting it done in a timely manner would also be nice.

On the engine my stage 1 is about 1K, with 7-8psi and twin turbo it might be like 1500 and for 15-18psi I would just need to put in pistons at about 500. So for like 2500 I can have a 450rwhp engine so it is cheaper, but does not have the lown end torque of the V8. I want to get it done and be drivable first to work out the little things so the simple approach I think is best for me. I have built a few of these engines so for me it is really easy and proven. If I can get the weight below like 2200 then 220rwhp in na form would be pretty fast for sure. Once I do the 350rwhp I might be content to just leave it like that, but if I know myself I might have to get the pistons and go for 450rwhp. We will see.

You'll want to use the lift kit for any street-driven car that is set at the correct ride height, IMO, especially if you ever encounter speed bumps or driveways with even a moderately steep angle. Even a race car might find it useful for loading and unloading, assuming the extra weight wasn't an issue.

The handbrake system you have may or may not be able to be adapted, but for sure the factory option is the fastest and simplest way to get a working handbrake.

Not sure where in VA you are, but I have a completed SLC in my northern VA garage for a little bit that has the carbon interior bits- you could see it in person and make up your own mind. PM for details.

Getting the body fit package is a good idea if you are in a hurry. If you put much value on your time, it will be a time-saver.

The fender vents are optional, as noted above. Great for additional downforce, and added bling, but a source for more dirty water and debris to come up on the exterior of the car in the rain. You need them for a track/race car, but street cars can do without unless you just want the look, and live in Arizona. :)

Re the seats, it's best to try them and see. Lots of choices, at every price point. Consider the costs of upholstery or needed mods when looking at a seat. Most seats have a seat cushion that is too high unless you are short, but the real problem for most of them is that they are too wide at the shoulders, and can hit the doors, especially if the optional door panels are fitted. Search through this site or the SLC Builders wiki for more details.

So I think I should get the lift kit and option out for themt to do the body items. I think getting the handbrake option will also be good as it a sorted out system and should be a quicker bolt on.

Seats I will get stock and see how they feel and what I can do. We will see what options come up in the future on these.

PM sent on seeing the car in person.

Thanks
Troy

FWIW, and I haven't taken possession of my car yet:

A few summers ago I sold my Lotus Elise, which didn't have a lift kit. You would be amazed at the number of larking lot entrances just waiting to take a bite out of your front clam. It's a piece of kit I would highly recommend getting.

I opted for the body fitment/aperture cutouts to be done by RCR. I figure that I've already got my hands full with just learning about the rest of the build, and don't need the extra work.

Don't forget to add in at least 10% (conservatively speaking) to the total cost of your build. You'll spend it...trust me.

Cf interior kit is really nice, and I've seen it for myself. Again, is it within your budget? If you add up the cost of covering the glass with leather, how far over or under the cost of the CF are you? Not to mention, it's another time saving deal.

I ordered both the front and rear fender vents in CF (I believe they also make glass vents), but it's strictly for the looks in my case.

I bought the Tillet seats because I had them in my Lotus, and they were exceptionally comfortable (plus, they look the cat's meow). Warning....they aren't cheap. I would think that you could do some pad inserts on the OEM seats, which would not only look good, but would save some money.

Howard Jones

Supporter
The one thing you might want to do is put the final power train in the car from the start. Changing engines later will really cost a lot more than you might think. I would go with a LS series engine at about 400hp and then enjoy the car from the outset. Custom twin turbo systems will require a lot of either money or time. More than likely both.

Body, you can do it, but figure at least three times as long as you have guessed on your first car. Double on the second and you will have a good basis for estimation for the third.

A couple of grand isn't much really, to save yourself several months of work you really don't seam to want to do anyway. It's OK to get stuff done you don't want to do. Save your time for the fun stuff.

Otherwise just get it home and dive in. It's fun! and theres lots of help accross the country just a phone call away.

IMO body prep and fittment is a must! Would have saved me hours, my biggest regret.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

That is just what I needed to know and will do both when ordering.

The one thing you might want to do is put the final power train in the car from the start. Changing engines later will really cost a lot more than you might think. I would go with a LS series engine at about 400hp and then enjoy the car from the outset. Custom twin turbo systems will require a lot of either money or time. More than likely both.

For me it is the difference in getting the car and not as the LS engines cost so much more for me. The LS with the correct trans is like 22K. I can do the V6 with trans for 5K. I have also done a ton of turbo work on 4cyl engines and tuned a bunch of cars. For me, the twin turbo kit is not hard at all as I have a small machine shop in my garage now so fabrication like that is really easy for me. Also, my setup I have in a race car now so I have spares and items. It will only cost me about 2K to do the entire kit with fuel controller to twin turbo. If I do then I get 350rwhp and in this car should be more than fun enough. I am thinking that I might never really need to go to the bigger LS V8. If I do go with the V8 later I can trade in the trans and upgrade, if wanted.

Also, another plus with using the V6 is that it is different and simple for me as I know the engine. I do not know of anyone else doing a V6 or a twin turbo V6 for that matter. So being different can be good. I will have to fab up some motor mounts that will be fun as the engine was not made for it, but it can be figured out for sure.

I do plan to dive in and get it done when I can. I have built a FFR Cobra about 10-15 years ago now and have also done a magazine car, a race car and lots of other projects. So for me having a well done kit makes like 1000X easier than what I am used to doing.

Right now I am cutting up an MR2 chassis, shortening it by 6" to make the wheelbase about right and putting on a 1962 Austin Mini Body. So the scale of projects I jump on are larger than the average guy for sure.

Thanks for the help already everyone and I am excited about the build alraedy. Now I just need to sell my Lotus for the rest of the cash.

Troy

Why not just put in an old used LS1. They make decent power, are super cheap and can easily be upgraded down the road.

Get the lift.

For me it is the difference in getting the car and not as the LS engines cost so much more for me.
There's only one of those options to take then :). I do love the kick of turbos too. There's the risk of more work to get a V6, turbos and intercoolers installed, but you sound more than able. It will take longer than an LS install though. A V8 twin turbo would be :stunned::thumbsup:

I'm sure that many of us would love to see a build log for a V6 twin turbo install.

Yes, I use the same avatar everywhere because I can't always have the same screen name.

To the rest of the group:
Troy developed a short-shift system for Lotus Elise/Exige that is absolutely phenomenal to say the least. Very high quality materials, excellent installation instructions, and second-to-none personal support. Troy is an upstanding individual in my opinion.

HTML:
Why not just put in an old used LS1. They make decent power, are super cheap and can easily be upgraded down the road.

Get the lift.
I will get the lift for sure.

For me, I will put in the VA in na form first. This will take no time at all as the ecu and wiring is worked out already for me. I have this engine and ecu already for 1K all done and makes 220rwhp or about 250-270 at the crank. Not a ton, but then I can get the car running quickly with this. Just need to make up some engine mounts and that is not a big deal and I can stay within budget and get the car.

For me to do the twin turbo it would not be all that hard and I have access to a dyno when needed.

As for the LS1 it is not as cheap as I thought. I was looking at like 2-5K for one with an ecu and all that is need, then I need another $800 for the acc to get the AC all working so this added cost. So maybe someday, who knows, but I am thinking the V6 twin turbo with 350-375rwhp and 400-425 at the crank would be plenty in this car this light. Should be interesting when done for sure and I like being a bit different.

Ben- thanks for the kind words. I do try to do what I should.

Will be looking forward to your build. V6s sound really sweet when done right (says athis former NSX owner). Turbos will make it plenty quick and a nice unique performer.

+1 for Body Fitment and Prep...

I don't have my car yet, but I never even considered tackling this part of the build myself. Would've drove me crazy! The only other option was to pay someone locally to prep the body.

To have the manufacturer do it at such a reasonable cost was a no-brainer.

Back