DeTomaso Transaxle

Just a couple of days ago I happened across a television program on SpeedChannel showing a variety of both exotic and low-rider cars interacting in an "appreciation" of what they are; cars. Curious program no doubt, but something caught my eye so I though I'd bring it here. One on the featured "exotics" was a DeTomaso Guara. Being only mildly interested in the program and not paying particularly close attention, I caught a glimpse of the open rear hatch and it appeared that the transaxle bellhousing was very much Audi. Some searching on the WEB revealed photos of what looks to be in fact and Audi 01E 6 speed transaxle. One site mentions "Getrag 6 speed." Apparently the Guara initially used a BMW V8 which was later replaced by a 4.6L 4 cam Ford Modular V8 of something between 375HP and 430HP (supercharged). The transaxles appeared to be the same for both. The Guara weight is listed at 2500lbs. I can't locate any information on the transaxle, so it's uncertain whether or not there are any internal strength modifications to reliably withstand this kind of HP. It does suggest that the 01E is reliable enought to warrent it's use in an exotic; a favorable demonstration perhaps? Is anyone familiar with this car?

See: De Tomaso Guara Coupe by Wilkinson
De Tomaso Guara #800018

Andy

Larry,

Some, if not many on this forum have questioned the strenghth of the 01E at horsepower levels often sought by replica builders. (And) The testemonials are few relative to the number of times the question or discussion seems to arise. The Guara example is the first I've seen where one of the transaxles questioned here for its strength is actually used in an exotic car application with a Ford motor like some choose for their replica. I was pleasantly surprised to see it, and certainly hope it remains an encouraging example. I take it that you are pleased with your 01E.

Andy

Back