Dimension of seat belt cut out in bulkhead

Dont worry , Im not going to ask about every little slot or hole ,LOL.
I was laying out the rectangular slots for the seatbelts to pass through the bulkhead , and they seamed kinda big.
The dimension is 70 mm wide x 25 mm high, located 40mm from horizontal edge of the bar and 45 mm down from the cross brace. In this picture below from the RF site there are two chassis. The one on your left seems to have the hole dimensions stated above . The right chassis has much thinner openings and they seem to be located with the top edge in the same spot. Are the larger openings not needed ?
Please advise and thanks for the help. Dan

Attachments

• 42791-Chassis_with_paneling_jpg.jpg
    42791-Chassis_with_paneling_jpg.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 370

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Dan,

The only requirement is that the belt and the buckle can pass through the hole that is cut. We usually make a cover which we paint black. Technically the cover is known as an echucian.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
Dan, depending on what you want you may not wish to cut those. If you use a 4,5,or 6 point harness you'll not need them. You have lots of time to decide and you might wish a harness if it will see any track duty.

Thanks guys for the input. I had a vette that I put in TRW Saebelt 5 point harnesses (camlock type, nice red ones,,lol) and the wife absolutley hated them for the 10 plus years that I owned the car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
So , in one of my very few and rare occasions (trying to make her happy) I am thinking of doing the RF retractable 3 pointers , and on my side I may do a 6 point cam lock harness also. Whatcha think buds ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
Mount the 6 point on the drivers side and the oem 3 point on the passengers side. Or............. put the 6 points on both and go for drives alone without wife.

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
camlock type, nice red ones,,lol) and the wife absolutley hated them for the 10 plus years that I owned the car! :

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd decide it for me! A man needs his time alone!

One note here, check with your state DOT regs - Texas does not accept a racing harness as a restraint system. You may be able to talk the local trooper out of it since it is based on a 1965, but. I also checked with Simpson and they affirmed that indeed, race harnesses are not street legal. Stupid rule, but there you go.

Went to the bone yard and got two little trim pieces out of a saturn 4 door. Should work ok or i can always use the rubber trim piece that comes in the clip.

Attachments

• 42989-P8280002a.jpg
    42989-P8280002a.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 306
[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking of doing the RF retractable 3 pointers , and on my side I may do a 6 point cam lock harness also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some driving schools say that the driver and passenger must have the same type of seat belts.

Well I am going have the 3 pointers on each side. I opened up the attach points through the stainless bulkhead so I can install racing belts at a later date.
If I track the car at my local track (Hallett) 3 point belts are all that are required . I have been a driving instructor at some of there lapping schools and they are pretty laxed on rules.
But something to think about if you go elswhere Ben, thanks.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Dan,

I must say that I think that a FOUR point harness is all that is required for a driver. Apart from a belt trying to detach the "crown jewels" from their rightfull place between my legs , I am sure that I will be pressing hard on the STOP pedle and my eyes will be wide SHUT the moment before the quick stop.

Our cars are set up for the harnesses as you know.

Nice work so far, I hope you are enjoying the experience.

Best wishes,

Robert

Back