DIY Car Racing Simulator

Most people on here will be aware I am blind. However, with help of my wife Debbie and a friend, Chris, who set up the software (GTR2), I've built a car racing simulator. Originally based on a GTD40 shell, that proved too expensive to complete, so it's based on a Lotus Europa shell. We built an insulated, heated, car sim room in a garage out in the garden, it has a nine feet wide curved screen with projected image from the ceiling. The screen is painted, bent, plywood and the entire car moves upon acceleration etc via wheelchair motors underneath. Working steering, brakes, clutch, gearbox, brake lights and surround sound with huge subwoofer, makes it very real. I've even built a fan into the dash, so at above 100 mph it feels like you've got a 100 mph draught coming into the cockpit! The disk brakes aren't "state of the art" being wooden, but the wheels & tyres came from a 60s Mustang. We can race online against up to 30 other cars. real people driving these cars.. and the suspension settings, tyre pressures, fuel quantity etc, makes a true to life difference in the physics of the handling. There is a viewing bench at the back for spectators and a "leader board" for fastest times. Although my participation can only be to observe (listen), I love the challenge of other guys racing each other. It's truly competitive and things can get "heated". One or two have come out of the sum "knackered" in a cold swet and feeling very sick.. nervous energy. The video here is a Lotus, but we can equally set up a GT40 MkI, II or IV and with every major & minor track in the World detailed to perfection, we can go back in time to Le Mans 1967 or 70 etc, to drive a 40 for real.. well.. almost for real. I hope you don't consider the sim too stupid an idea, it's just something which was in my head for many years and is now out of it. Please enjoy the brief video and if you're ver around Surrey, then call me on 07759751320 and we can arrange a drive. Perhaps meet you online one day... Andrew

Click below to see Dave "Baby Face" Burrows at the wheel-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_cf26-6TI8]GTR2 Lotus Europa Car Sim - YouTube[/ame]

Very nice setup, I must admit I've been tempted to put a set of game pedals and wheel into my part built and have a race in the garage!

Out of curiosity what hardware are you using for it?

David, the steering with force feedback, pedals and gearstick, are Logitec G25, bought used from EBay. The G27 has more programmable buttons, but is a bit more expensive. Again, a used projector (factory refurbished) and the rest is general computer bits & pieces, with a lot of woodwork, including the chassis.. would you believe! No it's not a Morgan! Best wishes.... Andrew

Back