Doc's SL-C Shop

We just got started on my new shop. Overall, 30' x 60' divided into a covered 20' x 30' front and enclosed 30' x 40' shop. It will be red steel welded, insulated, roll-up door, bath/shower room, skylights, eaves vents, 110V/220V all around, stationary compressor with piping and drops, 2-post lift, epoxy floor, outside 220V welder plug and water on porch.

Attachments

• ShopPad.jpg
    ShopPad.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 412
  • PadLooking North.jpg
    PadLooking North.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 428
  • DriveUp.jpg
    DriveUp.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 418
  • CenterDoor.jpg
    CenterDoor.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 447

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Dang you've got a big back yard! I can't even see the fence! :D

Sounds like my kind of place....

:thumbsup:

HA! Here you go Randy: 360-degree perspective....

Attachments

• ViewNorth.jpg
    ViewNorth.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 420
  • ViewNW.jpg
    ViewNW.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 422
  • ViewWest.jpg
    ViewWest.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 430
  • ViewSouth.jpg
    ViewSouth.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 379
  • ViewEast.jpg
    ViewEast.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 406
Not exactly an ocean view!

I gave up sailing after I sold my last sailboat, bought a sportfishing boat (appropriately named ADRENALINE) and started big game fishing in Cabo San Lucas.

Forgot to mention the all-important AC unit in the shop!

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Yeah, man cave! 30x60+ height. Insulation is a must in these things as its like a fridge in the winter and like an oven in summer.

Attachments

• Chris house n shed 002.jpg
    Chris house n shed 002.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 425
  • Chris house n shed 002 (5).jpg
    Chris house n shed 002 (5).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 439
  • Chris house n shed 002 (1).jpg
    Chris house n shed 002 (1).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 433
Mine will have 12' walls and 3/12 roof pitch.

On my little shop in Lone Oak, it was originally a storage building of about 22' square, all metal and non-insulated! So, I bought a spray foam insulation kit for a DIY job. OK in theory. But the instructions said the nozzles were good for about 3 minutes EACH and I had 3 nozzles! Everything was draped (thank God) including the floor. I wore a "bunny suit", goggles, gloves, old tennies, dust mask and got to work. I needed 2 1/2 kits so I had nine fan nozzles. The walls went pretty quickly. The ceiling was a different story. I had to go up and down a ladder, moving the ladder along the way, dragging the twin tanks along, changing nozzles AND enduring a "snow storm" of foam bits. My goggles were blanketed in just a couple of minutes and everything had a dusting of foam bits!

Note to self....."next time hire this out"!

Chris,

I see you have plenty of work space, nice! I will have a center roll up door and an I-beam will run the length down the center line to hold a trolly.

Looks like a fun project Doc and fabulous views. How far away is it from the house?

I am will be breaking ground on my man cave first week of Feb. Nothing quite so big though at 20'x40', with 8' walls and pitched roof, timber framed. Split 50/50 to park two cars up front with the rear half to be the home of the P4 and my Den.

Can't decide what to put on the floor though, probably those interlocking tiles with the raised circle bumps.

Mark,

The new shop is certainly closer than my other shop (330 miles away!). It is on 66 Acres and is currently about 15 minutes away from our new house in town. But, we are planning on building on the 66 AC as soon as the other ranch sells and then it will only be across the driveway from the house garage. But, I couldn't wait any longer to get going on the SLC again....

I purchased a RapidAir compressor tubing kit to go around the shop and will add access ports as needed.

It's been too cold to pour the slab this week :veryangry:.

A hint to Texas trailer owners: State law now requires TRAILER INSPECTION STICKERS like the Vehicle Inspection stickers we are familiar with. This has caught many by surprise towing horse trailers, car haulers, etc.

I weas also thinking of piping air around the building. Must check out RapidAir. The B option is a ceiling mounted 15m retractable airhose reel.

Too cold to pour slab in Taxas? What chance have I got then in poor, cold ole' Blighty???

Me gots serious workshop envy...
Sweet!
When can I come over and sling fiberglass dust all over the place? :)

In California we mostly live on postage stamp lots. :(

Rob,

You can come by any time. I'll even throw in some Negra Modelas for your labor.

Got the slab poured and I'll update photos soon.

HHhmmmm....
We may have to petition for the first annual SL-COG meeting at Doc's clubhouse. Looks like he'll have enough room and Texas is sort of centrally located ..... now lets Goggle San An-Jello.... :) Where the heck is that?

Midland is not far away....Is that the home of Jim Hall and Chaparral ....nice.

Maybe we should set the mimimum of 5 road worthy cars for the first National Meeting?
Who is in?

Haha getting a little ahead if myself.....

Just kidding Doc.

Last edited:
A few photos: There are Plates in the slab for each post. All welded red steel posts and beams. The longest I-Beam will run the length of the shop for the trolly.

Attachments

• Slab.jpg
    Slab.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 379
  • NorthSide.jpg
    NorthSide.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 356
  • PillarPad.jpg
    PillarPad.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 400
  • PlumbingStubs.jpg
    PlumbingStubs.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 366
  • I-Beams.jpg
    I-Beams.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 367
  • RedSteel.jpg
    RedSteel.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 372
Little update: Met with builder Sunday to go over some details/changes. One change will be to change to opening ridge vents rather than eaves vents. Going to use boxed beams rather than C-beams outside under front porch to keep birds from nesting inside C-beams. Gutters will go to 55-gal drums (my "green earth contribution" :thumbsup:) for water catchment. I purchased this 2-ton trolly from Harbor Freight to run along the center ridge I-beam.

Attachments

• image_793.jpg
    image_793.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 334
  • image_4448.jpg
    image_4448.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 331
Smart thing going with the ridge vents. You will help avoid the buildup of heat much better that the soffit vents, and it will aid in air flow on the slab level.

Bill

Back