Driving impression - difference between RF1 and RF2?

Hi,

I've done some online searches and haven't come up with a clear picture about what was re-engineered from the old RF to the new RF, other than replacing the cast front uprights with newly manufactured ones. Is there much of a change to the feel of the car (and do those with earlier cars feel that there are issues that needed fixing in the first place)?

Thanks for any information,

Craig

Hi Craig,

John Bowe's impressions here: Roaring Forties - Replica GT40s

It was a lot more than just replacing the uprights although that gave us the freedom to change the geometry significantly. Parts replaced or different between RF1 and RF2:

Steering wheel hub
Steering column and mounts
Steering rack and mounts
Ally panel work
Fuse/relay panel
Upper and lower wishbones and balljoints
Uprights, steering arms etc
Hubs
Brakes (various options)

The system is now much easier to adjust for camber (in situ now) and has a wider range of adjustment.

We had self imposed restrictions of chassis hard points and the traditional offset wheels to work between to make it all retro-fittable although new chassis are laser jigged during manufacture.

The rear is also quite different, the hardware remains largely the same but changes to geometry have greatly improved bump and turn/stability characteristics - the devil is in the detail on the rear.

I hope that helps, regards Paul

I spoke to JB about this and he was very enthusiastic about the changes, both on and off the record.

I watched some of the setup/testing and have seen first hand what a difference it makes. It is a marked improvement.
The testing I saw was at my local track, a place I have done many thousands of Laps.

Due to some unrelated issues I haven't been able to change over to the new setup yet but it is definitely on my to do list.

Tim.

Craig,

I have upgraded my RF1 with RF2 rear end, significant improvement. Haven't done the front end upgrade due to budget constraints but would like to and probably will when funds permit.

Anyone driving there RF1 car seriously should consider upgrading to RF2 spec's.

Andrew

Realised I didn't really answer the did it need it question.

Yes there are definitely issues with the RF1 setup if you do anything more than cruise freeways.

The rear end is fairly easy to get working with some easy part changes, although mine still needs some geometry changes to get it really right.

The front end I have never been happy with, in fact it pretty much stopped me from using the car. I am looking forward to fixing that with the RF2 setup.
Having seen the new setup in action it's a no-brainer to change to RF2 spec' IMO.

Tim.

Last edited:
Back