dry pump pump placement

I've read an article where an MG V-8 conversion used a dry sump pump placed at about the height of the intake manifold. I assume lower is better, but how much of a problem would placing the pump above the oil pan create on a 302 engine with a 3 or 4 stage pump cause?

Other than there was no room I see no good reason to high mount a pump, loss of prime etc is more likely on the high mount setup, that said many sb chevys from sprint cars etc run the dry sump pump off either end of the camshaft with no ill effects, cannot say I have ever noticed a pump mounted much higher than that though..

Re: dry sump pump placement

Thanks- I have a tight fit between the engine and chassis members and need to either modify the endine mounting support or move the dry sump pump mount up about 6". I hadn't thought about the cam drive pumps being higher than the crankshaft and apparently working well. Now, back to the garage and see how much room I have for a Gilmer pulley extension. I may have to move the alternator down low so I can drive it, the water pump, and the dry sump pump from the same belt. Another bracket to make, another week.

There are days I look at the car and how much more I have to do before it's done, and it gets absolutely overwhelming. This project is a delight so long as I don't think about what it'll take to finish, and then I'm ready to throw in the towel. Has anyone else hit that wall, or am I lacking the right attitude or something?
Sorry for venting- it's late and I need a drink.

Re: dry sump pump placement

There are days I look at the car and how much more I have to do before it's done, and it gets absolutely overwhelming. This project is a delight so long as I don't think about what it'll take to finish, and then I'm ready to throw in the towel. Has anyone else hit that wall, or am I lacking the right attitude or something?
Sorry for venting- it's late and I need a drink.

Most if not all jobs are best broken down into a lot of small projects, & you are not alone. If it was easy everyone would be doing this stuff....:)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
The thing that comes to my mind is that the scavenge portion is really drawing more air than oil, depending on the set-up. In that case, I would think the higher the mounted pump, the harder it it would be to draw the air/oil mixture up the multiple tubes in order to keep the pan "dry", versus down low at or around the height of the pan.

The pumps can be higher than the sump because the scavenge rotors or gears are bleed fed oil from the HP side to keep them wet. So long as these remain wet they will scavenge.

Bob

Thanks, Bob, that explains a lot and makes the choice easy!
And thanks too, Jac Mac. I lose perspective when I get tired, but three fingers of Black Jack (any relation?) works wonders :happy:

Back