Dunlop Racing tires

Ron McCall

Supporter
Does anyone have first hand experience with Dunlop CR82 Post Historic race tires? I am wondering how they compare to a Michelin TB5R/TB15 or an AVON.
They are going on a Pantera Gp4 with 15"X10" and 15"X 13" wheels.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron ive run them and dont like them, they take a good effort to get some heat into them, and when they let go they really let go.

Switched to Avon grooved slicks [to stay in the Historic rules] and the difference is chalk and cheese, quick to heat , stick like pooh to a blanket, and very predictable, give a whole different feel to the car, and i have to add their cross ply against the Dunlop radial ply.
vehicle is a BT24 replica and weighs approx 550kg.
cheers John

Malcolm

Supporter
I ran the Dunlop Post Historic tyres on my 40 for a few years. Very sensitive to tyre pressure changes. Very lightweight construction. Not great in the wet. Not road legal in the UK. I always thought they were cross ply construction. They also use pure rubber which is why they go off even if you don't use them. I haven't used the Michelins but would expect them to be very different from what I have read. Which Avons are you talking about? If the ones used on 40's regularly then the Avons are better and are a radial construction as a modern tyre just with an old fashioned pattern.

I ran CR82 Dunlop which were on the car when I purchased it, and quickly got rid of it...
Cross ply technology, and so difficult to find the right pressure, not so good on wet surface, etc. and very "special" on open road : you feel like if the car wants to follow a way that isn't always precisely the one you choosed as soon as the road isn't perfect and even. Hated that !

Switched to Avon CR6ZZ, radial tires : a different world. Costly, quickly worn , but perfect and sticky both on dry and wet surfaces. Make the right choice !

Back