engine bay heat

Gentlemen, I am new to the site...have been hovering around for some months now. I am planning an SLC project as a retirement gift to myself. I want to thank you all for generously sharing your expertise so openly. I have a question about cooling the engine bay. The GTM has so many body accessories available for this purpose...vraptor speedworks has side vents, deck vents, tail vents, etc. to aid the process. Is the SLC design so superior that none of this is needed? What are your experiences with heat in the engine area?

My engine bay is hot and we are still fixing leaks from the engine bay to the operator compartment. I have had to wrap all essential lines around the headers and all the fuel and oil lines in the close proximity of the engine. However the car when running down the road stays cool temp wise for the engine and oil. I have insulated the car as much as possible from the front radiator heat and the bulkhead in the rear. I have also got extra vents going in to the motor compartment. If you look at my build page you will see some of what I am talking about. I have not experienced the need for fans or other items to move the heat out from the motor compartment, but have needed something for the cabin. I saw the other day someone had run the scoop from the roof into the cabin and I am going to try that to help get some air into it. I would say wrap all items in the motor compartment and focus on cooling the operator compartment. I can tell you, you will not regret owning a SL-C once finished and lined out.

Ken,

I have ran my car on the track in the heat of a Tulsa summer and I haven't noticed any issues with heat in the engine bay. It would surely get hot but I don't think it would be any different than a corvette or viper. I think there is enoung air moving around in there to keep things cooled down. Maybe the design is that much better!

Back